About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Better Diet. (Not Dieting)

[caption id="attachment_2070" align="alignright" width="240"]Ok, So this is "Bad."  I get that part. Ok, So this is "Bad." I get that part.[/caption]

So, I started thinking about what I was eating a while back and how I could improve it.  The first obvious step - is eat fewer calories than I am burning.  Myfitnesspal works well on helping me with that.  Not only that, its method of using basic math to lead to weight loss - definitely works!

Now, that I have "burn less than you eat"understood - I am attempting to move into the "make better choices" stage - Some of which I have already begun.  It's obvious that broccoli is a better snacking choice than cookies.   But there is obviously more to it than that.

Let me speak up here and say that I am not becoming a vegetarian.  I did it for quite a while at one point in my life - and have no real plans on going back to it.  I like Bacon Cheeseburgers, and a tofu-burger with genuine tofu-bacon on it does not come close.

Recently, I have read a lot about how your relationship of carbs to protein matters.  But I'm not finding much in the way of good information of examples of properly weighted meals.  I admit it - I want someone to SHOW me healthy meals. I'm a visual person, I learn that way. (Oh, and I'm somewhat lazy - so if I can copy someone's meal plan for a week or two to get an idea - that's really a great bonus.)

[caption id="attachment_2073" align="alignleft" width="168"]Like This? Like This?[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2074" align="alignright" width="167"]Or like this? Or like this?[/caption]

I've read about the Paleo Diets, and they make sense to me. Less processing = more goodness.  But with two kids, a 40 minute commute, 50 hour work week and trying to find time to run - lets face it, I don't have an immense amount of prep time.  I don't have any problems with the idea of spending a few hours on the weekend doing prep-work for the weeks meals, but it doesn't seem like that would be enough for a real Paleo diet.

I'm also starting to research what a runner-in-training-that-doesn't-want-to-be-fat anymore should have in their diet... Of course, we are also back to not having pictures available.. (I promise, If I figure this out, I will do a series of blog postings with pictures on proper eating.)

Now realistically, I of course don't expect someone to give me, or to find - a weekly diet plan with recipes and pictures (Though it would be nice... Any nutritionists out there feeling bored and open to charity work?  Free publicity on my blog!)  But It is amazing how much mis-information is out there.  As food companies are more interested in getting your money, than preserving your health (Yay Capitalism!)  Don't get me wrong - I don't fault them their profits - it just makes good information hard to come by.  You can't even trust labeling anymore (GMO/Organic for example)

[caption id="attachment_2072" align="alignright" width="240"]So what on earth do you do with THIS thing? So what on earth do you do with THIS thing?[/caption]

My wife and I are both researching - and slowly making changes.  Some are as simple as switching to "Organic" milk for less processing, others are the obvious cutting waaaaaaay back on red meat.   There are an immense amount of vegetables out there I have never eaten, that I might like. Like a Rutabaga. My only experience with this  - is when my brother won the annual "Rutabaga Curl" at the farmer's market in Ithaca NY. (As the defending champion he was even interviewed on the Radio!)  Not really the best intro to a vegetable! (My wife assures me they are disgusting)

So anyone out there have any suggestions of vegatables I should try? Maybe some recipes or a favorite meal?  Or even an entire meal plan for a month/week/year?

 

3 comments:

  1. Tofu-bacon sounds absurd ;) I understand the better diet but no dieting concept. Have tried it out with a lot of success especially with soda and chocolates. I just opted for tea instead and snack on fruits but otherwise I can't be a vegetarian either. Here is a favorite vege meal though - ratatouille. The recipe is on martha stewart or jamie oliver. All the best and happy eating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never thought of making it - it was just the food-item in the movie by the same name!

    I am going to try making it this weekend! Thank you for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Paleo is great but your body needs carbs for energy. The idea is to rid the shit food out of our diet...stop eating food out of boxes and start preparing REAL food in our kitchen as was intended! You can do it....Vegetarian or not less meat should always be consumed along with more veggies! If you don't want to take away something just add...your body will thank you! Drink more water, eat more veggies...maybe connect with a Local CSA to get local vegetables and they will provide recipes for veggies you are unfamiliar with! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete