About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Monday, January 7, 2013

#janathon - Day 7 - a SLOW REST day!

OK, So I admit it.  I overdid it this weekend.  Apparently following a fast (compared to my recent running) 6 mile run with a fast short run wears the legs out.

If it wasn't Janathon, I would take today completely off from running and give my legs a chance to heal  But it is Janathon, so instead, off to the treadmill.  While it is only 45 degrees out this morning, I think I have proven that I can't be trusted to run slowly on my own. But that's OK.. Why? Because the treadmill will take care of that for me.

I hopped on, did my warm up walk and went to 6 mph.   And WOW are my legs tired! It felt like I was trying to run faster than I did over the weekend!

oh wait.. I hit 8 not 6... That is certainly not right!  Back to 6 where it belongs, and a nice easy mile ensued, followed by a nice stretching session.

There is no way my legs could do yoga today.  They are FRIED! (and sore.)

10 comments:

  1. You should have done the yoga today and stretched out your legs, not run. Too late now, I know, but "You're pushing too hard and you need to slow down a little and give yourself a break so you don't injure yourself! Think of me and my injured hamstring and realize you don't want to be in my shoes.

    This Janathon thing is making people do things they shouldn't just to keep up with the "promise." Rest is just as important as working out. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My quads couldn't have taken the Yoga work out!! I'm curious to see how well an actually slow mile works as a "rest" day. Yesterday was definitely a mistake - no doubt about that.

    How well I feel tomorrow will help me map out the rest of Janathon. After the mile, I spent 15 minutes using my foam roller and "The Stick." - I really need to spend more time with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janathon has a way of making you feel guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries Robinson. If your legs are dead tired that means they're in repair mode let alone super compensate mode and need REST. Thus to keep up with your Janathon responsibilities just do something that doesn't require your legs such as upper body weight lifting, rowing, or even just stretching such as John—who's also doing Janathon—did on day 6 (see http://bit.ly/UwYMaD). Hope this helps! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. good job! though definitely make sure to mix it up with the slower days in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that janathon pushes me to do something every day, but I also know the importance of rest and the regret of overworking and hurting myself. That's why I like to take advantage of the part where it says the rule are "more like guidelines" and that it just requires us to do some kind of exercise every day. A good stretch routine is exercise, but it's also helpful for muscle recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! 6 is like sprinting for my legs! :o

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you, Mariajose. When I'm on the treadmill I run at 5.8 mph, but I do it for 3 minutes, then walk at 4 mph for 1.5 minutes. I'm working to walk more and run less, and I would like to run faster, but obviously what constitutes "an easy run" is very different for everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my legs are super short and when I walk at 4 I feel like my legs are just about to run lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! I have long legs (I'm 6'), and some part of me still wants to believe that I can run like I did in cross country, so I think my inner sense of pride helps me pick up the speed too.

    ReplyDelete