About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

#Janathon - Day 16 - Full Body Workout

[caption id="attachment_2319" align="alignleft" width="183"]After being stuck in the house for 5 days - I still look this suave. Honest. After being stuck in the house for 5 days - I still look this suave. Honest.[/caption]

So, after an absence of several days - I have returned!  My Sinusitis turned upper respiratory infection (I think they are just guessing and throwing out fancy sounding generic illnesses) is improving, My temperature is only 99.9 now. But that is no excuse to miss Janathon is it?

So what sort of exercise did I do? A Fullbody workout!  I have been slacking for several days, so I figured I needed to jump right in.  Now I will admit that I did concentrate on my abs, my diaphram and my rib muscles.  I didn't stop there however!  My the scalenes, sternoclidomastoid, upper trapezius, levator costorum, paraspinals and subclavius for inhalation; and, the pectorals, serratus anterior, latissimus dorsi, and serratus posterior muscles also received a great workout and all with only one exercise!

cough2You can see why I call it a full body workout! Now what is the one single exercise that I have done repeatedly to work these? COUGHING!!!!!   Now that my fever is subsiding (or maybe because they gave me cough medicine with Codeine that actually stopped my cough for a while,)  I can feel which muscles I've been using.  And my entire body is sore.  Of course it is primarily my abs/sides and such - but I can feel it in my shoulders, chest.. all over. This has been the sort of cough where you end up curling in a ball and wonder if you gave yourself a hernia.

I think the stronger Antibiotic, combined with the various support medications (Cough Syrup, Advil, Mucinex, Gatorade) are helping now.  Doctor has forbidden me from work until Friday, so I suspect that other than my on-going full body workout, all other working out before then isn't a smooth move.

I had hoped to not miss a day posting or exercising this month, but I thought that daily updates on my illness weren't exactly gripping reading.  As soon as I can get back to exercising I will be here posting my usual witty and fascinatingly interesting blog postings.  Just bear with me through this "lame posting' time. It will end soon! I promise!
Source:  Muscles used while Coughing from Livestrong: http://www.livestrong.com/article/85497-muscles-used-coughing/#ixzz2I8LnfEIN

6 comments:

  1. I know how much coughing like that hurts. Feel better, take care of yourself, and don't get back into exercising too soon. Getting sick again is NOT worth it! We'll be thinking of you while you're "gone" and wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I definitely feel better than I have been - I'm probably up to about 50% at this point. But I don't plan on doing anything that is going to encourage a relapse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Deborah's comment above, "… don’t get back into exercising too soon. Getting sick again is NOT worth it!" Especially if you still have a high temperature. Being that exercise will only serve to push it higher and I don't think that's a good thing.

    Feel better soon Robinson!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just barely got over the never-ending (but obviously it did) cough. It had me up every night. Fisherman's Friend cough drops saved me. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes. Looks like this is the time for obstacles to creep into everyone's new year goals. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you recover soon! And sometimes, things pop up that require us to step back. Nice to know all these fancy muscles I'm trying not to work out this year. lol

    ReplyDelete