About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Ratatouille

2013-01-06 18.04.52So, upon the suggestion of a fellow blogger (thanks Bopspeed!) , I made Ratatouille for dinner last night!

I looked at a couple of different recipes online, and went from them.  I have to say, it was incredibly tasty!  I don't know that it was "right" of course, as I've never had it before, but this will definitely be on our repeat play to eat - whether it is "right" or not!

Ingredients

1/2 cup olive oil, plus more as needed
3 cups small diced yellow onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
4 cups medium diced eggplant, skin on
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 cups diced yellow squash
2 cups diced green bell peppers
2 cups diced red peppers
2 cups diced zucchini
3 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

[caption id="attachment_2205" align="aligncenter" width="490"]All of our Ingredients Ready to Go! All of our Ingredients Ready to Go![/caption]

Took our large cooking pan, and put it over medium heat and added the olive oil.  Once the oil was hot, added the onions and garlic.  Let the Onions cook,  until they were wilted a bit - lightly caramelized (stirring occasionally.)  This was about seven minutes.

[caption id="attachment_2206" align="aligncenter" width="490"]I figured they underestimated the amount of garlic.. I figured they underestimated the amount of garlic..[/caption]

After, I added the thyme and the eggplant, let it cook 5 minutes, stirring as needed.

2013-01-06 17.57.55

Added the Zucchini and Squash letting that cook up a bit (3 minutes or so)

2013-01-06 18.01.10

Then added the Green and Red peppers, and let them go for around five minutes.

2013-01-06 18.02.26

Finally, tossed in the Tomatoes and assorted spices (a bunch of pepper and some salt,) and let it go for five minutes more.. Then removed it from the heat and served it with egg noodles.
I forgot to take a picture of it plated, but here was the final picture in the pan with the tomatoes added.

2013-01-06 18.10.20

This dish? Marvelous!! I can see using it as filling in a wrap. I am looking forward to having it for lunch tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment