About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Friday, January 11, 2013

#janathon Day 10 - Early Morning Run

[caption id="attachment_2306" align="alignright" width="300"]This is what I risk facing when I have to go into a meeting in Alexandria This is what I risk facing when I have to go into a meeting in Alexandria[/caption]

It seems, that despite being up early and doing a nice run yesterday, I never posted about it!

I had a meeting about an hour past my office yesterday, so I had no idea what time I would be returning home. (An hour and a half because I had to go through DC.)  This meant I was probably better off working out in the morning.

(Plus someone at the dinner the night before had been talking about how crazy someone there was for getting up and running 5 miles.  I told him I probably would the next day - so I had to follow through!)

So at 20 minutes to 5am, my alarm went off telling me to get up. (it's NOT 4:40 am, because I promised myself when I got out of the military that I would not get up at any time that sounded like "four" ever again.)  Off I went to my treadmill.  At about 3 miles, I was really bored and thought about getting off of it - but this was one of those cases where I had told someone I was going to do five miles, so I had to live up to it!

I did run in my Sauconys, as I figured 2 days of running in new shoes - I should probably return to the faithful "Standby" for my long run.  It actually (other than being mind-numbingly boring) felt really good!

I was right on my traffic planning however, it did take me one hour and forty minutes to get there. (for the record, only 40 minutes to get home as there was no traffic at that hour)

6 comments:

  1. I traveled to DC for many, many years. What I learned was to carry your running gear with you. Two great DC runs are the National Mall (especially at night) and Mt. Vernon Parkway bike path. I figure, if you can't beat em, join em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain! I lived in Fairfax County for 25 years before I moved to Florida. I commuted to Georgetown for work for three years (bus, then Metro, then walk from Foggy Bottom), and then to Braddock place by Metro. My ex drove into the K street corridor, and then Georgetown, everyday. I lived right by the Mixing Bowl and lived through the reconstruction and the 22 flyovers.

    I don't miss it a bit. Orlando has some traffic issues, but NOTHING like DC. DC is nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with traffic like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny, I say the same thing about getting up before 5 as well. My husband REFUSES to get up any time earlier than when he was active duty. It's a joy when we have to go to races. (not, really)

    I lived in Arlington/Pentagon City as my last duty station! LOVED the area. Ran on Mt. Vernon trail & the Mall all the time. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete