About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Friday, March 30, 2012

How Sore is Normal? -- Random Ponderings and Questions

So, last night I skipped working out, and instead went out to Moe's Southwestern Grill - for a dinner that was as many calories as I had planned on eating all day.  Double Whammy with that one. But we are going to brush that under the rug and move on to some random pondering that have been going through my head.

My legs are usually sore.  I don't mean knee pain, although that still exists it is much less than it used to be as I have changed my running style.  I mean that most mornings when I wake up, my legs are sore from running.  Is this normal for a 36-year-old man attempting to increase mileage/speed?  or am I over-doing it?  It hasn't been a crippling/hard to walk pain, just a soreness.  In fact, after really heavy runs - I'm surprised I don't hurt MORE the next day.  As an example, I really expected to have issues walking on monday, after the Forks XV.  Yet I felt good enough (still felt some soreness of course) to do 5 miles that evening.

And that's another part of it. Usually a few hours into the day, my legs aren't sore anymore. The kinks have been worked out so-to-speak.  Now, running I can often feel that underlying soreness, and it (of course) doesn't exist in morning or during the run if the previous day was a rest day.

I have pulled my calf a few times, strained other muscles - and it is certainly not that sort of pain.

So is this normal in a person attempting to get back into running in their late 30s?  Could changes to my diet (trying to eat less crap and healthier foods) be contributing?  Or is it simply that I have gone up to an 80 mile/month running habit where previously I was doing 40-50?

That is the one bummer as being an adult runner vs highschool. There is no person to go ask these questions of..

5 comments:

  1. Robinson, This is your lucky day! You might remember that I mentioned massage therapy for your soreness previously. Well,... I have a few questions. When you wake up in the morning do you check your pulse rate? Is it slightly elevated? If so, then you are over training and need an additional rest day. Have you seen your physician regards this "soreness'? Are your legs tired or sore? If they are tired but feel better later it could be a sign of a more serious issue such as peripheral artery disease. I am not trying to scare you but from your blogs you have indicated that your diet has not been at its optimal best which can lead to high cholesterol related conditions.
    Have you been stretching after your runs? And I mean really warming down properly? I love following you and wish you the best of health and I hope this helps a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it absolutely helps! As obvious as asking my physician sounds.. umm.. no. I actually haven't! My annual physical is coming up though, so I will be sure to do so -Thank you for that suggestion!

    Have I been stretching and warming down properly? Umm.. Does walking in my house and plopping on the couch to drink water count? Actually I have even stopped using my "stick" - not a wise move on my part! (although I lent it to someone is my lame excuse.. but I could still be using my foam roller.)

    Thank you Maureen, I can definitely see where I have missed some obvious answers right in front of me! I will return to warming down properly, using "the stick" - and see the difference that makes (As well as tlaking to my Doc!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too can ache the next day if I don't warm down correctly, always take sometime to have a decent stretch :) How much have you increased mileage, are you still suffering? Great blog by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still suffering, but it is my own fault!

    I am stretching, and on my treadmill runs I am even doing a half a mile cool down walk. I think right now my calves are simply getting used to doing something again. At my last job (I started a new one on July 30th) I wore my Vibram Five Fingers. I haven't worn them much since I got my new job, and have to wear actual dress shoes and everything.

    Add in that my VFFs have taught me to be a fore-foot striker, even when I run in my Saucony Kinvaras, and my calves are waking back up!

    I have to find my "stick" as I don't think the foam roller does near as good of a job on my calves.

    What sort of things do you do for your warm down? Right now I walk, then stretch out my calves, ham strings, etc...

    And thank you for the compliment on my blog! I definitely appreciate feedback on running, AND on blogging! I'm making both up as I go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same as you really a decent stretch and a slow walk, in the summer I have been known to get the hose out and get some cold water on my legs but it's far too cold now to even think about doing that :O Stretching is the best, whenever I get ache's and pains I focus more on stretching after each run minimum 20mins.

    ReplyDelete