About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

End of last week and week end in review!

So this has been a wonderful weekend (yes, I know it's now Tuesday.. I've been busy!!!)  As I mentioned in my last posting - my brother-in-law was in town up until friday morning.  Ignoring their very existence, I started thursday with a 5 mile run outside in the BEAUTIFUL 55 degree weather.  (Mile 1: 8:19, Mile 2: 8:24, Mile 3: 8:28, Mile 4: 8:46, Mile 5:7:55.) I made up for my solitary run - by bringing both families up to  Tunkhannock Falls in Ithaca, NY.  We had a nice picnic lunch, and then headed up the trail to the falls.

As usual, I had someone stop me and ask me about my Vibram FiveFingers - don't get these if you don't like talking to random strangers!  I shared with her the wonder that is the VFFs, and she told me the "upper rim" trail was fantastic to run -about a 4 mile loop.  I thanked her for that information, and it is added on my "to-do" list this

[caption id="attachment_1347" align="alignright" width="300" caption="The Family at the lowerfalls - at Tunkhannock Falls"][/caption]

summer for sure!  I really want to get into more trail running. 

The kids (both theirs and ours) were definitely impressed by the falls - and how could you not be?  Even the little ones at the beginning of the trail are gorgeous to watch/listen too.

When my niece/nephew come back in the summer we promised they could play in the water.

Friday afternoon was a four mile on the treadmill.  To be honest, I have no idea why I went with the treadmill over running in the beautiful weather outside.  My wife was home, so it wasn't being restricted to the house with the kids... WHAT WAS I THINKING????

Still, four miles done - and instead of doing my lazy 6 mph run, I have made my standard treadmill run 7 mph.  8:30 miles has been a fairly standard speed for me when running on the road - so it seems silly to be going slower than that while on the treadmill. 

 Saturday and Sunday were non-running days.  This is somewhat disappointing as at least ONE of them was supposed to be a running day!  It still left me with a 17 mile week.  I think that is going to be my last under-20 mile week for quite a while.


[caption id="attachment_1348" align="alignright" width="300" caption="EVIL COOKIES!"][/caption]

With the start of the new week - my wife has decided to start focusing on watching what she is eating.   This is fantastic - as it is much easier to be careful about what I am eating - if she is as well! (watching the person next to you eat Cake while you eat salad gets disheartening.)  In the past I have used an app on my phone called "Calorie Counter" to track what I ate - in those time periods where I have  watched what I ate.  I decided to try a new one this time - so I am using "myfitnesspal."  I will let you know what I think of it!  With all the girl-scout cookies in the house that I have eaten - I definitely need a period of time of watching what I eat!  So yesterday was a series of healthy foods throughout the day. 

[caption id="attachment_1349" align="alignleft" width="300" caption=""The Guys""][/caption]

Due to an unfortunate meeting at work - I got home with very little time to run.  I did manage to toss in a quick 3 miler before getting my daughter.  (Mile 1:8:01, Mile 2: 8:11, Mile 3: 7:43)  Then to celebrate my healthy eating (HA!)  I headed out for dinner/drinks with the guys.  Though, I did go with a non-cheese burger, and a salad instead of fries.   Despite this luxury - I STILL came in under my planned-for calories for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment