About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Monday, March 5, 2012

A new Domain Name.. and some of that running stuff too..

So its been a quiet week here at oddfutures.wordpress.com.  (Although if you look up at the address bar - you will notice a change! This blog is now "onceandfuturerunner.com!"  As you recall from my last posts, my calf muscle had knotted up and made it painful to run. Well, after a week off - it seems to be doing just fine!  Rest assured, I was not just lying around and eating girl scout cookies all week (well.. not ALL week...), but have continued with my strength training.  I know you have all seen the late night infomercial with Chuck Norris on how the Total Gym is the one machine you need to be buff, fit and in the best shape of your life.

Well let me assure you, the results have been nothing less than amazing with my imitation total gym.  I have to upgrade my wardrobe due to my new-found muscle mass that I have gained in the last 9 days....Ok, so really, all I have gotten from it is really sore muscles..   But hey, its only been nine days!  The soreness lets me know that I really am getting a great workout from that thing!  My Maxxus imitation Total-Gym may end up being one of the best 20 dollar bills I have ever spent!

In the running side of things I have done some small mileage just to make sure my legs weren't going to knot up again, and indeed they seem to be ok.  I have been trying running in different foot-coverings on my treadmill.  The shoes are of course, a very obvious choice. I've also tried running barefoot, and that just destroys my feet.  My treadmill belt is NOT smooth, it's a weave.  This means if I drag my foot at all, I lose the skin.  I have heard that pain is a great teacher - and eventually I will learn to stop dragging my feet.  Thus far I have seen no evidence of my feet learning that.  So, Another attempt - and  I will admit it was out of laziness (I didn't want to go upstairs to get my shoes), I tried running in my toe socks. This worked quite well, and really let me focus on hitting lightly.  Now due to my sandpaper-like treadmill belt, I don't want to run in my toe socks regularly, as those are bloody expensive!  It occurred to me however, this might be a perfect use for my drawer full of white socks that I never get to wear anymore! 

Turns out white socks are NOT a good choice to run in.  Two toes on each feet have massive blisters, and one on the ball of my foot.  Damn. Thought those socks were actually going to come in useful.  Maybe I will start a one man sock-puppet show with them..

I have registered for several races:

The St. Patricks 4 miler.  - This one was handy as I was able to walk the application across the street to my neighbor.  At the absolute last minute of course.  The run is through the area I live, you can't get more convenient than that!
The Boilermaker - Thus far, this is my favorite race!
Greater Binghamton Area Bridge Run Half Marathon - All registered for the Race, now I just need to get my volunteer registration in!

I have in my grubby little hands, the application to join the local running group (the TCRC) and the Forks XV.

I have also signed up for an "Injury Free Running" Seminar the evening of the St. Pats 4 miler.  Lets face it, with my history - I NEED to attend that one.

This running season is looking to be busy!  I am still trying to figure out if I can manage the Marine Corps Marathon this year.

2 comments:

  1. I love the new domain name - congrats!! :) And I'm glad you claf is feeling better - that thing can be so pesky!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new domain name! Keep Mr posted if you decide to do the MCM! Registration opens this Wednesday to civilians and I'm REALLY hoping I get a spot!

    ReplyDelete