About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Holy Sore Muscles Batman! or Wholly Sore Muscles Bruce!

[caption id="attachment_1359" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Still the best Batman"][/caption]

Man am I sore today.. Legs.. Chest... Arms..  Wow... Let me explain.

So last night was a pretty good work out. I started off with a one mile run on my dear friend the treadmill.  I did it at my new standard of 7 mph (8:34 minute mile) and rounded up to 10 minutes.  I decided half way through to start lifting my knees up as high as I could.

After my 10 minute warm up I finally returned to my strength training.  For some reason, I always start off with chest/triceps when I return to strength training - and last night was no different.  It was a fantastic 30 minute session, I was whooped afterwards! 

[caption id="attachment_1360" align="alignright" width="200" caption="I still think Micheal Keaton was the better batman, but This guy was good too!"][/caption]

As a side note, when I attended my "Running Uninjured" seminar - Mathew Nark said that isolating muscles on machines was not the ideal way to work out.  I'm not sure if that applies to something like the "Total Gym" or not.    With it being cable/body weight based I still have to hold myself steady - so I would think the core benefits are there.  Obviously it's not going to be the "full body workout" that kettlebells are, but I don't happen to own them.   Ah well, back to my workout -

After using my imitation total gym,  I headed out for a nice 3 mile run.  I could feel the strength training and the high-knees I did on the treadmill, but the run was still nice! I think its difficult to really have a "bad" run when the weather is this beautiful!

Mile 1: 8:13
Mile 2: 8:25
Mile 3: 7:44

Tonight is looking to be a nice slow three-mile run (possibly on the treadmill to make sure it is slow) to give my tired and sore muscles a break.  Will do a back/bi workout either today or tomorrow!

I am continuing to watch my calorie intake as well as the quality of my food.  I have gone 4 days without Girl Scout Cookies, and I think the withdrawl is finally letting up

On the fence of what to do this weekend.  There is a 5k right near my house on saturday, and a 15k on Sunday.  Should I do one, the other or both?

2 comments:

  1. Hm...that's tough. I would say you could do both if you're feeling up to it, but year them as you would a normal easy run. Or at least one of them should be treated as a slow and easy run versus going all out for both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I do both, I think that is my plan. One (or both) done as non-races, just as enjoyable runs..

    I think the real deciding factor though, is what run(s) don't interfere with my wife's weekend plans

    ReplyDelete