About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Milestones! 10,000 Views! A Visit to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

I'm excited - at the time of writing this, I am ONE view away from having had a total of 10,000 page-views on this blog!    Thank you to everyone that has stopped by more than once! (well, those that stopped by once too - but those that come back make me feel a touch more interesting than those that don't!)

I have found out that being off of work seems to interfere with my blog postings.  It seems that since I run at different times, I don't get my posts scheduled.  On a good note, it means the notifications are being mailed out as soon as I write it!

So, yesterday I headed up to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY.  Being a runner - baseball isn't exactly my "thing," its not my wife's "thing" nor my children's.  BUT spending time with family IS our "thing."  Since my brother-in-law's family does have a "thing" for baseball - this was one of the places they wanted to see - so off we went!  Now, even a runnernerd like myself, that is familiar with names like Ryan Hall, Abebe Bikila, Walter George, and Katherine Switzer knows SOME baseball names.  Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Jackie Robinson and even Shoeless Joe Jackson (thank you Field of Dreams) are names that mean something to me.  The "All-American Pastime" isn't lost completely on this American. 

It was neat to see some of the older items. They

[caption id="attachment_1340" align="alignleft" width="225" caption="Bryce with his pin from completing the scavenger hunt!"][/caption]

had the corner stone from Ebbot's field, countless baseball gloves/bats/balls/uniforms that spanned more than the last 100 years.  They had the "Woman's League" section - as seen in "A League of their Own."  (I still can't imagine sliding into base in a skirt...)  For the children they had a scavenger hunt that earned them a pin for completion! (See the picture to the left!)

It was a fun time.

Back to the running side of things - I headed out today on a 5.01 mile run.  I could get used to this running at 9 AM.  I just need to find a way to have money at the same time. Maybe winning the lottery?

Mile 1: 8:19
Mile 2: 8:24
Mile 3: 8:28
Mile 4: 8:46
Mile 5: 7:55

My splits were pretty good for a nice run out there. No complaints!  Off now to a park with the family for a picnic.  Unfortunately it would be a great park to run in. (Unfortunate - because I won't be able to run as it's a family-oriented visit!   Maybe a nice hike though?)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good time... I am planing a trip up there myself next month should be fun....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will probably be more interesting for you. I'm not (and nor is my wife or kids) much of a basebal fan..

    but it was still interesting to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its probably a lot more interesting if you are a baseball fan...

    ReplyDelete