About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Monday, February 6, 2012

Weekend trend of non running? BROKEN!!!!!

So another weekend rolled around. I have, as of late - been super lazy from friday-monday. This has the obvious side effect of running always being painful since I am running for three days, and then taking 4 days off.  I was bound and determined to break this unhealthy pattern I had developed.

Sunday I strapped up my running shoes (after dressing for running in the 30 degrees), and headed out!  I thought to myself that a 7 mile run could be pleasant - so off I went on my loop over to Johnson City, across to Vestal, down to Binghamton, across the South Washington St. bridge and home.  It was a blast!  Once you get going, the chilly weather isn't an issue as you become your own portable heater.  I even had to take off my most excellent "Dead-Fish" hat that my wife had knitted me due to how warm I was getting!

The other runners and walkers that were out - were ALSO fantastic!  Everyone of them smiled and returned my greetings!  It was truly a great day to be out there!

Mile 1: 8:44
Mile 2: 8:37
Mile 3: 8:52
Mile 4: 8:31
Mile 5: 8:33
Mile 6: 8:27
Mile 7: 8:40

I was really pleased when I saw my splits! I expected to be around a minute per mile slower than that.  Apparently this not paying attention to my speed via mph, but listening to my body instead - is working out pretty well for me!  If I can manage to consistently NOT take four days off in a row, then I think I am hitting the point that I really need to add in some speed work.  The Curvy Road Runner has suggested a great speed workout on the treadmill over on daily mile:

Start at 6 mph, and do 1 minute,then raise the speed and do 1 minute at 6.5, 1 minute at 7, 1 minute at 7.5, 1 minute at 8 - then start over.  (Of course the chosen speed will be dependent on what is comfortable for you)

Repeat 5 times.

I have been planning on trying this on my next dreadmill run, but fortunately we haven't had ice outside! Why does that matter? NO DREADMILL!!!!  I think it may be time to institute some hill workouts outside!

Don't forget to enter my FREE ROADID GIVEAWAY!!!! I don't have alot of followers so your odds of winning are great!

 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great run... I'm at the Hospital right now with my wife and baby girl reading your blog :) Her Name is Evangeline Jamie if you have not found out yet lol I am hoping to go for a little run on maybe wed we will see

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful name and congrats!!!! That is awesome! Hope you have been stocking up on sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most excellent job! The wonderful thing about great weather is that there's NO DREADMILL!!!! But whenever you're ready...that Hell on a Treadmill workout will be there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely tackle it!! Though figuring out what speed to use will be the question...

    ReplyDelete