About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Friday, February 17, 2012

Sometimes.. you are running slow when you think you are running fast.. and sometimes you are running fast when you think you are running slow. Sometimes, its the same run.

[caption id="attachment_1238" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Hey! I'm like the postal service! through Rain.. Sleet.. Snow..."][/caption]Man, could I have made that blog posting title any longer?  But it is true - Sometimes you are running slow when you think you are running fast.. and sometimes you are running fast when you think you are running slow.  Sometimes, it's the same run.  Last night was apparently one of those nights for me. I was sure I started out at an unsustainable bat-out-of-hell pace.  My legs were flying, I was breathing like a woman in a lamaze class.  I was zooming along, and knew it was an unsustainable pace, but had NO problems with slowing down later.

[caption id="attachment_1237" align="alignright" width="358" caption="Lots of cookies to count and sort.. And this is only what came BACK to my house."][/caption]It was just going to be a three miler, as Girl Scout Cookies were in - and I had to get the kids, feed them, and then head back to the school to help unload, sort and count cookies.  I suspect that my attempting at going fast - was related to knowing there were many things on the "to do" list last night, but regardless of why  - I felt like Ryan Hall (only much, much slower.) 

Sure enough after a mile or so, I decided to slow down to a nice leisurely pace.  The plan of three miles meant even a leisurely pace was easy to accomplish in the amount of time I had, plus leave me time to shower.  My wife feels that the shower IMMEDIATLY after running is very, veyr important.  I did toss the occasional fast-pace in for random distances so that I had SOME sort of speed work in.  Needless to say, I had expected my first mile to be speedy, with my other 2 miles to be much slower.

Mile 1: 8:03
Mile 2: 8:02
Mile 3: 8:07

Umm.  WTF?  The second mile was actually a second faster than the first one, and the third mile was comprable.  So much for being speedy/slow.  I'm not disappointed that I was around 8 minutes considering how tired/sore my legs were - but still. WTF?  Still, the run was fun, I got it done in the time I had, and didn't put it off due to the sleet/rain/snow that was falling (all at once.)

 

[caption id="attachment_1240" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="now THIS is a reason to run :)"][/caption]

After the Cookie Count and sorting (don't understimate the workout of lifting many boxes over and over..), we headed on home....

...and may have taste-tested some of the cookies...


Don’t forget to enter my FREE ROAD ID GIVEAWAY!!!! - Last Day to enter!!!!

Only a few entries so far – so chances of winning are great! Don’t forget to post a comment over on that posting, and let me know each of the ways you have entered.  The Winner will be announced on MONDAY!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment