About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Friday, February 10, 2012

The Curvy Roadrunners' Treadmill workout from hell...

[caption id="attachment_1219" align="alignright" width="298" caption="My Treadmill is NOT this nice.. or new."][/caption]

Ok, so I have been saying all along that I need to add speed-work.

I have also been saying that I find treadmills to be very, very boring.

Storme over at The Curvy Roadrunner was kind enough to give me the following suggestion last time I was whining about how boring the dreadmill is:

1. Warm up with a walk or jog for 1/2 mile
2. Set incline at 1.0 or 1.5 ( I still go with 1.0)
3. Run for 2 minutes at 4.5 pace on treadmill
4. Run for 1 minute at 5.0
5. Run for 1 minute at 5.5
6. Run for 1 minute at 6.07. Run for 1 minute at 6.5
8. Run for 1 minute at 7.0
9. Run for 1 minute at 7.5
10. Run for 1 minute at 8.0
REPEAT 5 TIMES (Just over 4 miles in under one hour)

Instead of doing a range of 5mph - 8 mph, I went with 6mph to 9mph.  I did it a total of 4 times, and followed it up with a cool down at 6mph, rounding the total distance out to an even 4 miles - 33 minutes total time on the treadmill.

It is definitely easier to quit on a treadmill then when out in town running but I managed to keep myself going anyway.  I had only planned on doing 3 reps, so I was pleased with myself for adding in that fourth!  It turns out I am getting quite good at lying to myself about "only" doing a certain number of repetitions, or only doing a certain distance.  (Would that make me gullible?)  It was really odd running hard in a WARM temperature - as my house is significantly warmer than it is out side.

I was concerned about a potential shin-splint in my left ankle as I could feel the tightness.  Maybe I am just paranoid after all my injuries last year - but I was VERY liberal with my use of the stick on my leg and all calf muscles that aren't hidden under bone.  I woke up this morning pleased to find it was just tight, and not that familiar sharp pain that says I am not running for several weeks.

It was a very good workout, and it is one I will do again!  Probably next thursday when my wife and daughter go out to girl scouts, and my son and I are home!

Don’t forget to enter my FREE ROAD ID GIVEAWAY!!!!
Only a few entries so far - so chances of winning are great! Don't forget to post a comment over on that posting, and let me know each of the ways you have entered!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome job! I can't take credit for coming up with that workout though, I'd never think of something that insane. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] a while (and in re-reading the Curvy RoadRunners Treadmill Workout From Hell), it occurred to me that I didn’t have any speedwork going on.  Bad enough I am being [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] – Fashion additions for outdoor running, and a new treadmill speed-workout was added to my repertoire.  We gave away another Road ID here – to my dear friend over at [...]

    ReplyDelete