About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Running and Waving..

Yesterday was the day of the friendly runners.  Anyone in upstate NY has realized this is a runners' dream winter with out consistent 30-50 degree temperatures, and yesterday was no different.  I headed out after work (after going home and switching laundry.. I've always found it convenient that a good run process - changing, running, stretching and "the stick" - is one full cycle of the laundry) with the idea of doing somewhere between 3 and 7 miles.  I know, it's a heck of a range, but my mind wasn't in "let's go run" mode.

Once my feet started hitting the pavement (and I got my music working, and arm band situated) and I got through that first mile - everything went as it should.   I went a different route (isn't that the point of GPS? So you can go all different ways?) and managed to get our local traffic circle in visible range, just in time to see my wife head home for work.  I was kind of glad I hadn't hit it yet, because I probably would have taken a ride if she offered!  It worked out for hte best however, as the best part of the run was after that. Those moments where you forget you are running and just go?  It also seemed that the friendliest people were out as well. Everyone waved, nodded and/or smiled.  Even the drivers paused and let me run in front of them (backing up for me - so I KNEW they had seen me) and didn't try the usual "lets run over the runner we haven't noticed."

I ended up pounding out 5.77 miles, and wasn't disappointed in the mile time at all.  This not paying attention to how fast I am running seems to really be working out well for me.

Mile 1: 8:40
Mile 2: 8:09
Mile 3: 8:04
Mile 4: 8:17
Mile 5: 8:15

I do have some tightness in my shin on my left leg, but thus far massaging all the leg/calf muscles seems to be keeping it from affecting my running. I am hoping I just need to build up the strength and that will take care of it.

Tonight, based upon my new schedule - is supposed to be "Speed work."  I know I need to add lifting into my routine as well.  This should be starting soon - once I finishe reorganizing the back room so my generic "Total Gym" can be used.

Don’t forget to enter my FREE ROAD ID GIVEAWAY!!!! - Tomorrow is the last day to enter!

Only a few entries so far – so chances of winning are great! Don’t forget to post a comment over on that posting, and let me know each of the ways you have entered

No comments:

Post a Comment