About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Monday, August 19, 2013

Long Slow Run.. without water.

Good Morning!

I am feeling surprisingly great this morning!  Why so surprisingly?  Well, yesterday was my Long Slow Distance run.  What? You would like to hear more about it? GLADLY!

I have to admit, it didn't start off to grand.  I started searching for my ifitness belt, but had no luck.  After half an hour I finally gave up - and headed out without it.  (A 10 mile run with no water.. This should be fun..)  Now, It wasn't as bad as it could be - as it was raining, so that should help a little with the heat, right?  Right.. about that..  It stopped half a mile into the run.

But, ever the eternal optimist, I kept running. My goal was to head down to Crofton parkway, do two laps and head home.  I figured I could add a little  bit extra to move myself from 9.5 miles up to 10 or 11.  Due to the dreary nature of the day - there was not the usual numbers of people out and about - it was quite peaceful.  In fact, in the first round I only saw 3 other runners and 2 pairs of walkers!  On any given Sunday - with nice weather -I could expect 3 or 4 times that many!

But I digress.

I thought this run might be trouble, I had re-taped my feet (YAY KT TAPE!), and it seems that the left one (the worse of the two feet)) hadn't been done as well as the right.  Less than half a mile out (about the time it stopped raining), I could start to feel my plantar fascia become unhappy.  Now, any good runner knows what to do when their body starts to let them know there is an injury there.. I ignored it and kept going, after all isn't that in the runner's rulebook?

I couldn't get into the run at first (notice my preoccupation on the first half mile?), but reminded myself that I was out there to enjoy it, not simply to log miles.  I kept my head up and smiled.. It made all the difference. i was able to appreciate the now-familiar views, and was able to better watch which houses were for sale (after all, my wife and I don't plan on renting forever!)  I have to admit, there were several that looked nice - but we are a couple of years off from buying.  We want to let our daughter finish at her elementary school... ok.. TMI there?

ANY way...  So back to the run (I seem a bit scatter-brained today!)  I did two loops down around Crofton Parkway.  I have to admit I enjoyed seeing the same people 4 times (they were obviously running the other way) and headed back toward home.  It was coming off of Crofton Parkway that i really began to appreciate how nice GU and Water is.  It was really all I could think of for the last two miles!   Well, and for the last mile i also thought about 'One foot forward.. Now the other one... Now the other one.."

11miler paceI was super pleased with my pace, and I figure I can expect to be sore for a couple of days for this one!

I did arrive home, safe and sound.. After a LARGE cup of water - I have to say, I really enjoyed the run!  My feet feel quite good today, although I do have a little soreness in my right knee.  I'm very please/suprised by my lack of pain, although my legs are QUITE tired!  I think I am in a good position to be ready to go for the Marine Corps Marathon!

What do you do for hydration? I ask as I am apparently replacing mine!

3 comments:

  1. Lol, wow you are a lot better than I. I remember the first time I ran without water...and definitely made it my last time. Now, I always carry water with me and use a hydration belt to carry the two 10 oz bottles. The brand I use is from Nathan's (http://www.nathansports.com/hydration/hydration-belts) and I've had mine for about...maybe 2.5 years now with no major issues. It serves well enough on long runs, though when I get to going past 8-10 miles it can be an issue if there aren't water fountains for me to refill my bottles along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the phrase you may be looking for, is that I am a lot dumber than you! I have scoured my house and cannot find this stupid belt. It only has 6 oz water bottles (two), but In NY I would plan my long runs to go by a convenience store to refill it.

    I'm currently drooling over the "Quench Retractable Hydration Belt" that Fitletic (formerly called ifitness) offers. They have offered me a belt (As they are bigger/better than they used to be) to write a review on, but I suspect they weren't meaning their most expensive deluxe model..

    ReplyDelete
  3. NICE! I need to reach out to some places to write a few reviews.

    ReplyDelete