About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Glorious Weekend

This weekend was FANTASTIC!  I don't know about the areas you live, but here in Maryland it was a gorgeous with sunny weather!  I got in my long run on Sunday, but took Saturday off.  Friday, the bottom of my left foot was really bothering me, which kept me from doing anything over a walk..  Saturday I was going to head out, as my foot just had a slight soreness to it, right around the high end of "usual."  My wife suggested that I take that as a hint/warning to take another day of rest.

Well, I have been saying I was going to do my build up differently this time, haven't I?

croftonNeedless to say, by Sunday I was definitely ready to be out there on the road!  It was in the low 60s, cloudy - but no rain. PERFECT!  I laced up my running shoes (The Altra's if you are wondering) and headed out the door.  Today was going to be my long run, so 5 or 6 seemed about right.  If I remembered correctly, my run down to Crofton Parkway, around the loop and back - was in that range!  Since it is a beautiful run, usually with lots of friendly runners, I was really looking forward to it.  It totally lived up to my expectations!   Some days, everything is just right, and this was definitely one of those days.  The runners I passed were all friendly, the walkers/cyclists too!    The music I had going (i heart radio) was a constant stream of the prefect running music.  Who could as for more?

 

Now there was one incident worth mentioning.  I have  habit of seeing runners ahead of me, and my goal becomes catching them.  Now, as I am not the fastest thing out there, this doesn't always work out- but its usually obvious petty quick which way it is going to go.  This run wasn't any different as people appeared ahead of me on the loop.   Then I came around a bend and saw a couple out running, with the man on the sidewalk, while the lady was running in the road.  Why was she in the road you ask? Wonderful question!

[caption id="attachment_2612" align="aligncenter" width="490"]55map I saw the stroller at around 3 miles.. and chased until my turn off at the top of the loop just before the five mile marker[/caption]

She was pushing a double stroller.  I never did see the kids, so I don't know how big they were - but she was really down and pushing hard in the up hills.  (I did have some thoughts on HER being the only one to push, but maybe they weren't his kids.. or they traded off later.  One can't really judge based on a short snapshot of their run!)  Needless to say, I began working on catching them.  And I kept working on it... And OMG!!! She is pushing a double stroller up hills, and the distance between us was hardly changing!!! SHE IS SUPERMOM!   I did keep working at it... and where the road divides with a higher/lower side- She took the higher one.. I took the lower (I know.. I know...)   I started wondering if I was going to catch her before my turn off of Crofton Parkway!  I am pleased to say that with one block to go - I did!   I know.. its a little thing, but I was still excited... and depressed when I realized how hard I had worked to catch someone pushing a double stroller.... sigh.

I got home without incident (my favorite way to get home actually,) and preformed my usual post-run stretch routine.  I think I will post that soon and see if anyone has any feedback on it.. But I digress.

The run was awesome!  I was worried about how my foot was going to feel the next day, so I did some very heavy icing of them.  whether that was they "why" I can't say, but my feet were fine on Monday!  I did skip out on running though, as I wasn't feeling all that hot.

[caption id="attachment_2613" align="aligncenter" width="490"]You can tell when I had to wait for traffic lights. You can tell when I had to wait for traffic lights.[/caption]

I was quite pleased with my splits, keeping it under 9/mile once I got warmed up.

It looks like tonight will be a chilly run out in the pouring rain!   I used to love running in the rain.. We will see if I still do!

2 comments:

  1. Lol! I love it! Ugh! It's so upsetting for me to run and not be able to beat anyone pushing a stroller! I should do a post on this. I should call it "I need to beat you & you & you." lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never underestimate the power of a Mom!

    ReplyDelete