About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

3 mile run - In pictures!

So, yesterday as i posted, I realized I have been really lacking in providing pictures.. So I decided that I owed you all!   Today you get to see my three mile run - through the lens of the camera on my cell phone!  (Well, the last two miles of it at any rate, as it didn't occur to me to take pictures before then...)

[caption id="attachment_2651" align="aligncenter" width="490"]Picture on the left, what Runtastic shows.  On the Right - what it SHOULD show. Picture on the left, what Runtastic shows. On the Right - what it SHOULD show.[/caption]

I started out on my new route from last week, as seen in the map above.  Well, kind of.  You see I apparently screwed up my program the last time I took the cell phone out to take a picture my runtastic seems to have lost the GPS signal in a bizarre coincidence that seemed to coincide with the last picture I took.  I didn't let that bother me, as I really enjoyed the run!

Most of my runs have nice sidewalks.  I like these, as I feel that drastically reduce my odds of being run over by a commuter more concerned with getting home, then watching for poor innocent runners along side the road.  There is one road in the route I take, that lacks these wonderful series of concrete slabs.. And it also happens to be a road commonly used by commuters.




[caption id="attachment_2653" align="aligncenter" width="490"]runtastic2013-05-14_19_31_35 The way I came from[/caption]

You will notice the nice shoulder in these pictures.

runtastic2013-05-14_19_31_51

That only exists part of the way, and it switches sides halfway through..

The view along this road is wonderful though.  Lots of overhanging trees, slight hills in the distance (hmm.. wonder if I can get to those for hill workouts) and gorgeous views of the blue skies.. (In NY our sky is always grey - so I really like the blue.)

runtastic2013-05-14_19_31_16

Anytime you move from one area to another, there are things that stand out to you as different.    One example of htis is the phrase, "traffic calming."  Now in Binghamton, there is certainly not enough traffic ANYWHERE to require "calming," so it does make sense that I wasn't familiar with the phrasing.

runtastic2013-05-14_19_34_39But I also found it interesting the first time I saw the sign, that it was a speed HUMP not a speed BUMP.   But then I saw it.

runtastic2013-05-14_19_35_18its hard to tell in this picture (No, I have no idea why I didn't take one closer), but the speed hump is about 15-20 feet thick.  Not wide like the road, but front to back as you drive over it.  It seems that speed HUMP is a big thing, while a speed BUMP is smaller  You don't have to slow down as much for a speed HUMP.

You can also see the wonderful side walks, as well as a man walking his dog.  I have to pause for a moment and say something about the local dog walkers.  As a rule, they are the most polite people I have ever encountered.  Every single one of them will pull the leash in, and step off of the side-walk for a runner that is coming (meaning me.)  I still give them a wide berth, and will go to the road if I am approaching them from behind, but if i approach them from the front - no worries.  I think this is AWESOME!! Makes me feel good about the consideration in the area.  It is a nice acknowledgement and sign of consideration in a high population area (which means people usually try to ignore each other,) so I always make sure I thank the dog-walkers.

runtastic2013-05-14_19_38_31

Who knew that running could be so educational and increase your knowledge of local events?  I knew about the local vandals that were slashing tires/smashing car windows.  It has been on the local news, and in Crofton Patch.  I didn't know there was a picture!  I wonder if the guy is just upset that his t-shirt is too big.. That can cause internal strife you know!

[caption id="attachment_2657" align="aligncenter" width="490"]this quacked me up. this quacked me up.[/caption]

As anyone who has run outside knows, you get to encounter wild-life.  The picture above made me laugh as it was a duck just sitting in a driveway.  His buddy had enough sense to sit in the plush grass - but not this guy.

runtastic2013-05-14_19_40_51

He was NOT ready for his close-up however, as he showed me his tail feathers when I tried.

It isn't as odd as it seems to have a duck around though, as a block away is a cute little pond.

runtastic2013-05-14_19_42_22You can't see it in the photo, but there are ducks at the far end.

That was my route I ran last night!  Tonight my son has Choir Practice (THREE TIMES THIS WEEK!!! ARRRGGGHHH!!!!), so I will be running Baltimore.  Back in Feb. I had mentioned that one of the mothers of another choir-boy had mentioned an interest in running.   Tonight we are heading out!

I'll let you know how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. Great idea to document the whole run in photos - I might 'borrow' this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures. I need to take more pictures, I just get too focused on running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a nice run! & I laughed when I saw the Speed Hump sign and you mentioning it how it wasn't Bump as usual. I saw the same thing during a race and I was just so confused. Although, the Speed Hump I had to go over was actually pretty high, it's just longer. Weird things, weird things. And I run away from wildlife, unless I find myself a nice little tiger or lion lol I'm only saying that now, I'm sure I would panic.

    ReplyDelete