About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

What a weekend...

So, many of you know that I moved from NY  (the big Upstate part, not he little city part), to Maryland last year.  My parents, brother, sister and friends all remained in NY (my house wasn't big enough for all of them, and we didn't feel we could pick and choose.)   Consequently on long weekends, or random other times - we go up and visit.  That was what this weekend was.

The wonderful place I work, and the one where my wife just started, were both amazing and let us out of work early! We thought this was going to give us a really early start, but I forgot one major thing.

[caption id="attachment_2727" align="aligncenter" width="300"]The new officers celebrating the backing up of traffic on Route 50. The new officers celebrating the backing up of traffic on Route 50.[/caption]

The commissioning ceremony at the United States Naval Academy.  See, my house is about 15 miles from Annapolis.   This meant that the traffic on my usual route home was horrible.  So horrible, it took me an hour instead of the planned 23 minutes.  This was NOT going to affect the weekend however, as I was still home before I would have been normally.  My GPS took us a different route than usual, using a lot of back roads to get up to Harrisburg, as the major interstates had traffic issues.  It was beautiful!

800px-Gettysburg_National_Military_Park_60

We went through Gettysburg, and hadn't realized how close it was.   We didn't stop, as we had a destination ahead of us - but we will be back!

[caption id="attachment_2730" align="aligncenter" width="213"]I said we would be BACK not BACH. I said we would be BACK not BACH.[/caption]

We made good time.  for the weekend - I helped my father put up cabinets in his kitchen,

[caption id="attachment_2731" align="aligncenter" width="300"]My wife and I holding the cabinets while my father screwed them in place My wife and I holding the cabinets while my father screwed them in place[/caption]

We also went up and saw my sister's new camper and campground spot.  Really nice! (No pictures of this one!)  A wonderful cook out on a freezing night.  But man, it was good to have spiedies!

[caption id="attachment_2732" align="aligncenter" width="490"]mmmmmmmmmmmm. spiedies. mmmmmmmmmmmm. spiedies.[/caption]

Sunday was laid back.  We did some more on the cabinets and headed over to our friend's house - Kory and Jenn.  You may remember them from some past blog posts.  Another cookout, with lots of friends (no pictures.. It was that kind of party... You know, the kind you forget to take pictures? What did you think I meant?)  and back home on Monday.  Quick stop to see my best friend that I hadn't seen in ages!

So, there is a brief summary of my weekend.. But it was fantastic. I'm exhausted, but it was awesome!

Now your exercise enthusiast update:

I didn't do anything.  My feet (both were sore, left was excruciating!) are feeling better, I have been doing what I can to really pamper them and keep my PF from getting any worse.

[caption id="attachment_2733" align="aligncenter" width="490"]Can you think of anything else I could do? Can you think of anything else I could do?[/caption]

I have my orthotics in my shoe, then a Dr. Scholls one on top of that. It adds padding to the back of my foot, as well as support on my arch.  Then An arch strap to go with it.  This has been what I have had on my feet for a week or so now - and it is definitely improving!  I had the opportunity to go running with two of my buddies in NY, and might have been ok to do so.  But I decided I simply wasn't willing to gamble on jumping back in too soon. (I played that game with my previous injuries and would like to think I have grown a bit wiser.)

Tonight will be another bike ride, but there may be a run in the next few days!

5 comments:

  1. As I think I said, my plantar fasciitis took about 6 months to go away, and that was wearing orthotics everyday (even my slippers), and in my running shoes. I never didn't wear them, and I never went barefoot. I spent a fortune on shoes (Orthoheel) so I could walk with orthotics AND have shoes to wear to work. But it DID get better, and I am fine now. I think the key is constant support -- no sometimes yes sometimes no allowed.

    Because my foot was supported all day, it finally didn't hurt anymore, even though it wasn't entirely healed. So then I could run (with orthotics) without starting from a place of pain, and the orthotics kept the pain away even then... for the most part.

    It's just something you have to get through, but the key, for me, was constant support. Not only are you not in pain, you are healing faster and can also run.

    I really hope you feel better soon because I remember how much it hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been going with orthotics steadily.. Even putting them in my running shoes. Have ones that go in my five fingers..

    I am looking into a local podiatrist to see what they come up with. There is an ultra-sound therapy that supposedly can help it heal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My podiatrist also recommended a rehab place that had "space" running where you're on a treadmill but you're supported so you aren't bearing all of your weight. I couldn't do it because the place was only open during working hours, but you might want to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the reasons why I love the Maryland - DC area. There's always something to look at :D
    & glad you had fun visiting back home. About the being tired... vacations are always a must after a vacation lol it's a never ending cycle.
    Glad your foot is doing much better :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You aren't kidding. Not just stuff to look at- but always stuff to do also! Always races available to be run as well!

    ReplyDelete