About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Unintentional speed work.

So last night I headed out on my 2.3 mile route.  I can't lie - it's not far enough.  I am not "Satisfied" when I finish.. BUT, I am learning from my previous mistakes and building up my base slowly.   When I get to run the Marine Corps Marathon this year, instead of walking the expo (again) knowing that an injury has kept me from running it (again) and whining non-stop to my wife about it (again), it will all be worth it.

As has been my standard lately, I let my body pick the speed.( IT is one advantage of only running 2.3 miles, I don't have to worry too much about going to fast to make it through the run.  When I hit the one mile mark, I heard the voice in my phone speak:

1 Mile.  8 minutes, 02  seconds.  Pace 7 minutes 53 seconds.  (ok, I have no idea how these two times are different, but they were).

7 minutes?  I am below 8?  COOL!!!!!!    So then I stopped holding myself back at all.  I just let my body run and enjoyed the fact that I felt like I was flying like Abebe Bikila!   Strangely, that 2nd mile seemed to last a really, really long time... But when I hit the counter on my phone I heard

2 Miles.  15 minutes, 10 seconds. Pace 7 Minutes 12 seconds.

Holy Bejeezus Batman!!!  I was flying!  I finished out the last .3 (7:11 pace)

430elevation

Now I know that there are many, many runners out there that don't see 7:11 as fast.  But it certainly is for an 8:30-9:30 pace runner!  The best part?  I truly expected to be sore as heck today - and I'm not!!!  I a little bit of achiness in the bottom of my right foot, but that is it!

12 comments:

  1. Nice! Great job! And uhmm.. 9:30 is hella fast for me, so you can imagine how 7 is lol But you're being smart. Short runs are going to help you in the long run. That's my goal right now to make sure I can continue to race and beat my PRs. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good run! I love to surprise myself with a good pace every once in a while. Thanks for the 'like' on my post. I'm new to this whole blogging experience, but I'm really enjoying it and finding that it helps keep me motivated. We seem to have a lot in common (overtraining, love for the Marine Corps Marathon, pace...) I look forward to watching your progress toward a successful MCM.

    I hate to ask, and I'm not criticizing, but are you sure a Tough Mudder in June is a good idea? My buddy and I are both training for the MCM and would love to get in a Tough Mudder, but I'm not willing to risk the possibility of injury. I'd rather run the MCM and nothing else than run a Tough Mudder and NOT be able to run the MCM. I'm considering a Tough Mudder in Jan/Feb of 2014 to make sure I have plenty of time to recover from any potential injury in time to run the next MCM.

    Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always happy to have someone question my plans! I am VERY capable of coming up with stupid ones, and that may be the only way I realize it.

    And You are right. After missing it due to injury twice, I'm not sure I am willing to risk the MCM by doing the tough mudder. Thank you for pointing that out! At this point, there isn't a race that is a higher priority to me than this year's MCM.

    I enjoyed your posting as well, and look forward to reading more of what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you.. that slow buildup.

    Speed - and what is "Fast" or "slow" is definitely different for different people.. Just like body type, history with running, etc...

    For me the problem is I still remember running 5k's in high school at 17 minutes.. Something I will never see again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will this years MCM be your first full marathon? I used to run different marathons, but after getting back into running several years ago, I've reserved the 26.2 distance for the MCM. Like you, I haven't been able to run it in two years due to injury and am looking forward to crossing that finish line again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will indeed. I promised myself back in highschool that I would run the Marine Corps Marathon. Last year I suffered Plantar Fasciitis, and the Year before I pulled my calf muscle.

    This year I will be at that starting line if I have to do so with crutches..

    My father was a Marine, My Godfather was a career MArine, and I was Navy - so it holds a special place for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I served in the Marine Corps from '90-'98. I had to make a decision between staying in and keeping my family, so I chose my family, but it will always hold a special place in my heart. The MCM is just one of the ways that I can still feel connected (and my wife doesn't mind nearly as much when she can go with me than when I was gone 6+ months at a time). Not sure if you use Garmin Connect or not, but if so, I have a group (2013 Marine Corps Marathon) that is starting to gather a few others looking for the same thrill of crossing the finish line in October. Would love to add you to the group if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand completely!

    I would be interested, but I don't use Garmin Connect. I do appreciate the offer however! We will have to meet up at the race!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely have to meet up at the race. We'll be getting in Friday afternoon sometime and staying in Pentagon City. My buddy and I are going to rent bikes to ride the course on Saturday (nice and easy ride - don't want to expend too much energy). We don't have any other plans yet but would love to get together with people at some point for a group celebration/dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely! I live in Maryland, so I will be staying at my house :)

    As we get closer -we will have to set up when/where!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! I remember the first time I started running and how horrible I felt afterwards cause it was so hard to do it without gasping for air. Now I make sure I'm gasping for air.

    ReplyDelete