About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Friday, May 10, 2013

Dehydration or pending illness? 'eh, lets run anyway.

Dehydration effectsI woke up this morning, and my mouth and throat were super dry.. Almost painfully so.  I thought perhaps I had slept on my back with my mouth wide open all night.. (Which makes me wonder how my wife got any sleep as I would imagine that would make me snore badly!)  I proceeded to drink water to dampen up that dry tissue that was complaining to me..   Although my mouth began feeling normal, my throat never did.. After 130 or more ounces of water (and a couple of cups of coffee,) I still had "that" feeling in the back of my throat.. So either I am getting sick, or I was super dehydrated..

Come to think of it, I'm not all that sure I really had any water in the last 48-72 hours..  hmm.

Either way, sick or dehydrated - It occurred to me that today's run should probably be a relatively easy one.  I couldn't see going out and killing myself helping either of these situations, so starting speed work up was put off.

I did head out on a different route, thinking it might help expand the distance a little. I had been at 2.7, so around 3 miles is where my standard run should be now.  This loop blew it again.. Instead of increasing it by .3 miles, I ran .5 miles further.

59map

I kept it at a comfortable pace, trying to make sure that (other than the beginning of the run - where my legs wonder what on earth I am asking them to do) there was no real un-comfortableness, struggling, or pain in my legs. I also made sure my breathing wasn't labored.   I felt like I was going really easily - and figured I  would be at 9:30 or 10 minutes when I hit the mile marker..

59pace

Needless to say, I was pretty surprised when it told me 8:33.  When I heard that I had sped up a bit for mile 2 and then again for mile 3 - I was VERY surprised!  Now I know that would only be a 26:30ish 5k - a long way from my 22:51 PR in the 5k (7:21 pace), but it tells me that I am getting back on track!  I felt like I could have done several more miles at that pace, even considering my hydration state!

I have a lot of hope for this year.. I'm keeping my base building to a slow pace.. I'm feeling good!

1 comment:

  1. Great job! I nearly got sick this week and I'm very anti-medication but I have been feeling a little bad lately and didn't want to feel like I should just lay in bed forever so I drank a little of that Mucinex thing and my goodness, I never sneezed again but it gave me this kind of headache where you just feel like your head's gonna blow off. Thankfully it went away a day and a half later but it killed me. Why bring this up? Because dry throats to me are like a headache! lol

    But yeah, you're doing great! & I'm finally catching up on all the posts! :D

    ReplyDelete