About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, May 16, 2013

The MSB Support Crew Running Team

So, last night the stars aligned, and the other parent of a Maryland State Boy-choir chorister was available to run on the day it was my turn to carpool! We left the choir, and headed up to Lake Montebello - as it has a nice view, and seems like a logical starting point.

[caption id="attachment_2582" align="aligncenter" width="490"]Picture from http://abikeinbaltimore.blogspot.com/2010_09_01_archive.html Picture from http://abikeinbaltimore.blogspot.com/2010_09_01_archive.html[/caption]

It was much more crowded than the last time I went through.  I suppose that is the problem with a warm spring day (as opposed to a chilly rainy still-winter day.)   I figure our running and dodging people/strollers/kids on bikes/etc was simply good practice for the start of road-racing!

It was nice to have someone to talk with as I ran.  It seems that social running is very different from going on your own while jamming to some tunes!  Though the non-surprising part would be what we talked about.  What did we talk about you ask?  Why, running of course!  Gwen has been reading up on Chi-Running, so we did some comparing/contrasting of that and POSE running - which I have been reading up on.  I think we had a brief segue into discussions on Galloway as well.

[caption id="attachment_2665" align="aligncenter" width="490"]runtastic2013-05-15_19_18_52 A building at Morgan State College[/caption]

We left Montebello Lake, and headed up into a college that I didn't even know was there!  Morgan State University, a "Historically Black College."  I'm going to pause here and go onto a side note..   I am from NY.  Not only do we not have "Historically Black Colleges," but I had never heard of these until a co-worker mentioned she went to one.  When she first said it, I was confused as hell.  There is, without a doubt, a difference in how race is viewed in the North, vs the South.  I have to admit I was even more surprised when I read a wikipedia article, and found out there were HBCU's in Delaware and Pennsylvania.  There are definitely moments of culture shock, despite the fact that Maryland is not that far from NY.

[caption id="attachment_2666" align="aligncenter" width="490"]Morgan State College, Building under renovation. Morgan State College, Building under renovation.[/caption]

I don't' want to go into a rant of confusion over this, so I am going to move on...


Gwen and I headed down into Herring Run Park after leaving the college, crossing a bridge that went over said park.

[caption id="attachment_2667" align="aligncenter" width="490"]Nothing says love like a rock-sculpture! Nothing says love like a rock-sculpture![/caption]

It was sweet, someone had written a message of love in river-rocks in a grassy area of the park, where it could be viewed from the bridge.

We finished up the park and headed back to the Choir, where we could stink up the entire waiting room with out post-exercise selves.

It was a great run, and we might be able to repeat it Friday.  But then choir practice is over for the year, so it gets put on hold until next fall!

4 comments:

  1. I am about to run a 5K with a friend, and I have never run with anyone before. It should be interesting. But we finished a 10K last weekend within 3 minutes of each other (not knowing the other was racing), so our pace is pretty much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. only time I have raced WITH someone, our speed was very close, which helped us pull each other along.

    Now, that didn't stop the one person from trying to lose the other mind you... And the other person always beats me - because I do not have a kick at the end of running, so it doesn't take much of one to beat me if we run the race side to side!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never used to run with people.. But ever since I helped to pace for training for a half I've found that I like running with others! It makes the time go by faster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. Its funny because I think we all picture running as a solitary thing but it can be very social.

    ReplyDelete