About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Running in the Rain

Back in NY, I would get out of work before my wife did.  Periodically I would not only end my work day before hers, but end it reasonably near my house.  On some of these occasions, I would "Run for a Ride.'   I would see if I could get to her office, before she left work (leaving me to run home.)  It wasn't to bad, as it was only around 3 miles.

Last night, I managed to get home a bit early.  I had previously run a google maps to see how far her new office was from my home - 3.6 miles.  Well, I was sitting on my couch looking at the clock, and I realized there were 50 minutes to go, before the end of her work day.  3.6 miles in 40 minutes? (After all, I would have to get changed and find all my running stuff!)  ABSOLUTELY!   So I quickly got  changed, grabbed my phone/armband/headphones and opened the door... It had apparently started pouring rain....

Back upstairs, find a rain jacket, phone into a ziplock baggie.  Start I Heart Radio and Runtastic, coat on - and out the door!

It was POURING!  I had forgotten how invigorating it can be to run in a down pour! 

58map

The route brought me back along Crofton Parkway, although strangely there were far less runners on a Rainy Tuesday afternoon than a sunny Sunday Morning.  I was a bit concerned that I would miss turns coming off of Crofton Parkway toward Defense Highway, but I managed it ok!  I got to her work place 10 minutes before the end of her work day!  The funny part, is she had sent me a text message while I was running, and then asked why I was ignoring her!  So, I sat on the hood of her car (in the pouring rain,) and texted her while I waited to suprise her when she came out!

I was a bit concerned that I had started off to fast when I heard my first split.  I decided I should probably slow down a bit... but didn't.

58speedI maintained the same pace throughout.  It may not seem like it on my last .61 miles, but I had some issues shutting off my Runtastic, with its being under my jacket.. and in my armband.. and in a ziplock...

I have to admit this was the most fun run I had in a long, long time.

4 comments:

  1. But is your house still sinking??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun!
    I'm not much of a runner, but have always enjoyed jogging. It gets so hot here in Delhi, India that I much prefer jogging in the rain without a rain jacket. The best is playing football (or soccer, if you prefer calling it that :P) in the rain :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That weekend, I ran a new charity race, a 5.4K lap around the Crofton Parkway in the neighboring Maryland town, with yard sales and kids selling lemonade on the sidewalk. A bald eagle circled over the starting line while the fire department played the national anthem. I ran it in 32:55, 4 minutes faster than the previous weekend. My wife and I congratulated a 40ish 1st time racer who had quit smoking and started training 8 weeks before, and finished in 40:00, with his father in law at his side. He was clearly euphoric about how running had changed his life. I felt great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Ahh! I need to woman up and run under the rain soon! :O

    ReplyDelete