About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Can't follow instructions...

So... I am now starting to freak out. I am on to my second week of my 18 week "Marathon Training Schedule - Novice 1" program by Hal Higdon.  Week 1 is:














1



Rest



3 m run



3 m run



3 m run



Rest



6



cross



As you can imagine, this was a nice easy week 1... And I blew it.  Yup, that's right - the very beginning of my training program and I'm already doing it wrong... mine looked more like this:














1



Watch kids swim practice



Run 3 m*



Think about eating cake.



3 m run



Play Video Games



Swim laps/play in water & 3.4 m run



Think about how I should do 6 miles.



Now if you look at those two grids... See how they are different?  No, seriously - go back and look - I'll wait here.  Yup, although at first glance it looks like I did exactly what I was supposed to, the actual similarity is that they are both written in grid format.  The contents? Waaaaaaaaaaay too different.  I am thinking that I may need to do something about this if I plan on getting past mile 6 (or so) of the 26.2 miles that make up the Marine Corps Marathon

Now, I realize that you, my wonderful reader - are in shock.  While I give you a few moments to recover I will show you what week 2 is/was supposed to look like:














2



Rest



3 m run



3 m run



3 m run



Rest



7



cross



This (no doubt) has made you wonder what the week DOES/Will look like... so lets see:














2



Rest


weight lifting (orientation at YMCA)5.7 miles

3 m run (will do tonight)



3 m run... maybe.



swim maybe? might lounge around instead



9 mile run



You can see how well the two grids match this time... They both have one row, and 7 squares... and have writing in them... It's where the similarities seem to end.  You would think I would be able to follow the plan for at least the first two weeks - apparently not!

Sunday is the Boilermaker up in Utica.  I have wanted to run this race since Highschool, so I am really looking forward to it. Based on my stellar training recently, I have decided to take it slow and easy to make sure I can finish it. I briefly debated going for the record (42:54 in 1997 by Joseph Kimani) but decided not to show up the other runners that way -  It strikes me as rather rude to show up, run it my first time, and make everyone else just feel silly.  So, Keeping the big picture in mind - this year my goal is to give everyone a false sense of security when viewing me as competition - I am hoping to finish in the top 10,000 finishers, with a time of 1:30-1:40.  I figure THAT should really make them rule me out when sizing up the field in 2012.

It should be fun - Here is what the starting line looked like last year:

[caption id="attachment_452" align="alignright" width="423" caption="Don't drop your soap!"][/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment