About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Running Errands and... Well.. Running.

With my kids learning to not drown every evening at 4:50, it gives me 50 minutes to go exercise.  I can lift weights, I can run.. or I can go run errands after convincing my wife to pick the kids up.  In terms of my Marine Corps Marathon training, the first two choices seem to do much more for me than the last one, however in day to day life - the last is more productive.  Well, last night turned into an errand-running night - But WAIT!  Before you think to your self - "Well, he blew the training plan for week 3 also - and on the first day of running!"   I have to say this.  NO I DIDNT!!!!  After running errands (which seemed an awful lot like running in circles), I went home and ran my 3 miles per my Hal Higdon training plan.

The run felt quite good.  I was inspired by my negative splits at the boilermaker - and decided to not just go run my normal 9:30-10 minute mile, but pick up the speed a little.  My splits were:

8:40, 8:47 and 7:53 with an average speed of 7.1.  It wasn't as fast as I might have liked, but considering my body was still hurting from the boilermaker - I have no complaints.  Tonight however, I have a four mile run listed on the plan - and THAT one will be taken at a nice easy pace.

I might be doing wine tastings this weekend at the Finger Lakes Wine Festival for Magpie Farms Winery, makers of LEgendary Magpie Mead - which may interfere with my running (and proper hydration) for my long run on Sunday, but planning is on hold - so I am no longer sure I will be there. (If you go, we are not in one of the main 3 tents - but in the one that is off to the side come by and see us!)

If I don't have the privilege of passing out samplings of the nectar of the gods, I am thinking of doing the Forest Frolic 15K Trail Run in Virgil NY.  I really liked the distance of the Boilermaker, and thought this could be fun to drag my buddy Dustin along on - and just run it (not for time) as I haven't done a trail run before, and they look fun to me.  As an added bonus I have wanted to see how my VFF's (bikilas) perform on trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment