About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Friday, July 8, 2011

Utica Boilermaker 15K!

So, two days from now I will be doing the climb that starts the Utica Boilermaker 15k!  It seems that whatever nit-wit designed the course thought that the first four miles should be up hill.  Can I tell you how not-amused I am by this?  I mean SERIOUSLY!!!! Don't they realize that there are those of us that spent more time thinking about training - then actually training?  SHEESH!

Ok, so really - I'm not that worried about it.  I expect to finish it really tired, and to really enjoy my free beer - but my bigger concern at this point - is where do I park?  I managed to find one article on-line regarding parking, but mostly it seemed to be about the road closures - and assumes you know the area when it discusses parking.   The actual boilermaker website has the helpful sentence of: Participants are encouraged to park at locations near the start line.   umm.. Ya think?  I had been planning on parking about 10 miles away and running to the starting line, but I guess I will take their advice and park close.  (To any race planners out there, if you are hosting an event that might have out-of-town people coming in - PLEASE give addresses for some parking areas.. it's a big help)

This will be the longest run I have done yet, and should give me an idea of what it is like to run within a huge crowd (though significantly smaller than the MCM's 30,000.)  With the help of my KT Tape (seriously, this stuff is a god-send) I am not worried about my calves - so all I should suffer from is severe muscle exertion and over use! WOOT!! Now if THAT isn't a good time, what is?

[caption id="attachment_461" align="alignright" width="640" caption="Boilermaker 2010 - Picture Stolen from a Facebook Friend that was there last year. I think the girl in the red shorts in the bottom right corner just realized she needs to use the potty...."][/caption]

Some neat things - Time Warner Cable will air live coverage of the 2011 Boilermaker 15K starting a 7:30 am on July 10, 2011. Set your DVR's! Time Warner Cable Sports Channel 23, 813 (HD), or 577 for on demand if you miss it.  You can also sign up to receive updates via text message as to where your runner is.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment