About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Working on Speed - Without moving forward!

[caption id="attachment_535" align="alignright" width="300" caption="This week's Temperatures.. And that 97, is before humidity is taken into account. Heat index for today is 101-108!"][/caption]

Since the thermometer's mercury is rising - I decided to stay inside yesterday and use the treadmill.  I suppose it was easier to breathe, but it was STILL hot.  Oh.. And BORING. (<-- Notice the capital letters? it was THAT boring)  It seems my intense dislike of treadmills has not changed at all.  Some gyms I have belonged to in the past, have had a television in front of the treadmill (you use a radio for the sound.)  The YMCA does not have these modern technologic marvels in front of the treadmills.  On a good note though, the YMCA's treadmills don't have a "virtual track" to watch go round and round and round like my treadmill at home.. I think that may be a good thing as it's reminiscent of a train wreck, you spend your whole run staring at this red dot going in a circle and can't look away.  This does NOT make an already boring run more enjoyable. (I did have a guy staring at my feet for a mile or so of my run - we talked about the difference in gait, and the comfort of the Vibram Five Fingers after my run.)

I did complete my training plan's four miles in 30 minutes (8 mph.)  The base of my calf muscle (Achilles tendon?) was quite sore on my left leg - apparently picking up the speed stresses the muscles a bit more than a nice leisurely stroll does.  I am going to roll back the speed on today's (thought it might be tomorrow's) run and take it easy to give my Achilles' a chance to heal up as well as dealing with the high temperature.

[caption id="attachment_536" align="aligncenter" width="587" caption="And it just KEEPS going up!"][/caption]

 

I have also been (and will continue to) stretching it out.  The scheduled 9 miles this weekend is going to be a nice slow one as well.

Looking ahead, I am planning on some lap-swimming as well on Saturday.  It's a blast to go to the pool and see how the kids anti-drowning classes are coming along.

**** Stay Tuned today for a Contest Announcement!! ****

2 comments:

  1. You sound like me! I woke up this morning debating if I was going to take it outside or hit the treadmill. Looks like itll be the treadmill. They're calling for heat indexes up to 112 this week! *sigh* as much as I hate the treadmill for runs, I hate the heat and humidity that much more. Good call on the indoor run. Stay cool up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a runner who wears a 32DD bra I'm always on the hunt for a comfortable yet supportive athletic bra. My favorite brand is pretty expensive so I thought I would try another that seem to get great reviews. When I received my Moving Comfort Fiona bra I did not have high hopes that it would live up to my expectations. The bra did not look or feel like it would do it's job but I decided to give it a try. Much to my surprise, the bra did exactly what it claims to do. I had great support with little movement and I did not feel like my lungs were being constricted by the band. I love that the bra does not need to be pulled over your head (traditional band with hooks) and that the straps are adjustable. The straps do tend to be on the thick side which could bother people that don't like their bra to show through their shirts and you always get a bit of a uni-boob but if you can get past those "problems", it's a great choice for runners.

    ReplyDelete