About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, November 29, 2012

The last two weeks summarized in one post...

So, I've been quiet for a couple of weeks.  Let me reassure you, this is not because I went back to not exercising... Well, not for much of the two weeks.

It started because our best friends came down from NY and spent a long weekend with us.




[caption id="attachment_1733" align="alignright" width="300"] All the Kids outside of the Aquarium[/caption]

We had an awesome time with them, showing them Maryland on Saturday - including the National Aquarium in Baltimore.  Unfortunately (As if the picture above didnt' give it away), the quality of the food and drink was... umm.. shall we say Calorie-Rich?   But it was a celebration, so it's all good!  The Children all loved the National Aquarium - I think the dolphin show and Jelly fish were the big hits!

[caption id="attachment_1736" align="alignleft" width="300"] DOLPHINS!!!![/caption]

Watching the folks in scuba gear feeding the fish in the HUGE tank wasn't exactly a case of bad timing either!  That was really cool to see.

The only negative thing I can say about the National Aquarium, is that their coral reef exhibit was really lacking.   The only reason I noticed this, was from keeping a large salt-water reef-tank, and from seeing the AMAZING tank at the Georgia Aquarium!   In other words, if you haven't done those two things - then even the reef tank is probably pretty cool!

Bubba Gump Shrimp was also an interesting restaurant - it is entirely Forest Gump themed.  Food was also quite good.

Sunday we took them on the Metro down to Arlington to see the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  My kids have seen it once before, but it never stops being powerful.   After everyone left, we watched a little longer - and we were fortunate enough to be able to witness the wreath being changed! THAT was amazing.. I have always found Taps to be one of the most powerful songs, but when it is played by a military member in the middle of Arlington National Cemetary?  There is no way to keep your eyes from watering.

[caption id="attachment_1738" align="alignright" width="225"] My Neighbor that ran with me.. Here he is trying the Yoga Eagle Pose[/caption]

We were also able to introduce them to our local friends (I've written about them before,) which was nice - that way both the old and new who the heck we were referring to when we talked about the other side!  It was a great visit.  In fact the only things I dislike about our move - is moving so far from friends and family.

Back to the local friends - last week I took Dan running with me.  We did a mile and a half - I figured that would be a good distance for a new runner.  He held up well, I suspect pride wouldn't have let him do otherwise!   We were unable to run together again that week, but he said he hurt for 3 days!  I am hoping we will get to run Saturday and Sunday, but at least on sunday... 60 DEGREES!!!!!!

I have been running in two-mile increments on the treadmill.  I found doing much more than that causes my Plantar Fascitis to bother me a bit more.   I am doubling up and doing a morning 2 miles, and an evening 2 miles - to try to get a we bit more mileage in, and it seems to be ok as far as my feet are concerned.   I have also added Yoga in to my rotation.  It will help with doing some upper body as well as core work - with the added bonus of (hopefully) making me more flexible through the hamstrings/calves/feet - and might help alleviate the PF!

I will say that whomever claimed Yoga was relaxing, needs to be smacked... With a shovel.

No comments:

Post a Comment