About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Friday, November 2, 2012

Friday's Ramblings... Or why its always nice to give clean pants to a neighbor's child after a dog throws up on them.

So its friday.. I draaaaaaaaaagged myself out of bed this morning (notice all the "a"s?  It was that hard to do..) and headed out to run.  The first thing I have to say, is I have completely forgotten how to dress to run in 40 degree weather.  I was nice and comfy when I got outside and started my run... At the end I went in the house and couldn't get the layers off fast enough!  But I get ahead of myself...

I decided I was going to hold myself back today and take it easy. I have been doing my runs at about the "maximum" speed that I could - for the distance I was running.. I haven't been planning on doing this, it's just that my speed that I ran an easy 4 to 5 mile run last year, is now my "maximum I can handle for 2.5 miles.."  It occured to me that running consistently at that level is probably not the smoothest of moves I could make, my goal today was for a 10 minute mile.  So with that goal in mind, I headed out of the door.

I started my Runtastic.I started my music (realizing I should have done this BEFORE I started Runtastic)
I started to run.
I stopped running and put on my gloves (I hate cold hands)
I started to run again.

The run was quite nice.  It's so easy to forget how relaxing it is to run. When I start my day off with a run, the stress of the day is never quite as bad.  The world just can't hit me as hard as it can when I don't run. (No. This is NOT A challenge world, BACK OFF!)  Due to not planning my time/distance/wake up time as well as I shoudl have, there was a slight gap (5 minutes) where my kids were parent-less, but they kept the door locked.  I think at almost-9, and 10 years old can handle 5-10 minutes. :)   They have a phone that they can use to call if needed.  I did resist the urge to run a different course that was about 4 miles, but I am continuing to try and keep my increases very gradual so my body adapts.

I weighed myself today, which I will admit isn't rare as I do it every day at the same time, almost like a fanatic.  And if the weight goes down I tell myself "Huh.. I must be dehydrated..."  I'm getting really worried about that as my levels of dehydration seem to be getting pretty extreme as I am down about 8 pounds now!

Now to explain the title of the post... I received the funniest text this morning (if you are a Facebook friend of mine, I apologize for the repetition) -

"Good morning.  Just an FYI - my dog threw up on your kid.  I gave her clean pants and sent her to school."


My kids wander down the road to meetup with two of their friends - a brother/sister combo in the same grades as mine, play with their dog for a few minutes and then head out to school.  I can't help but think that their friend's mother completely saved my daughter's social life until highschool by giving her clean pants to wear!  It may have put off the Boy-problem even longer though...

Headed up to NY this weekend to see the family and friends we left behind.  I don't think I am going to be running up and down my parents mile long steep hill in the 30 degrees and snow that are in the forecast.. Good thing they have a treadmill in the basement!

Halloween Candy eaten in the last 24 hours: 0 pieces
Total Halloween Candy eaten: 0 pieces

1 comment:

  1. [...] Friday’s Ramblings… Or why its always nice to give clean pants to a neighbor’s chi... (onceandfuturerunner.com) [...]

    ReplyDelete