About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Monday, April 9, 2012

Weekend in Review - Treadmill, Trail Run and pain on the bottom of the foot.

Friday was a nice day off with the kids (Easter Break started.)  Since I had both of them home, my choice was to wait for my wife to get home (5:00 pm) or run on the treadmill.  Rather than wait, I decided on the treadmill.  I seem to be spending a lot of time on that treadmill lately.  I did a nice easy 6 mile run, and an incredible Chest/Tricep/Shoulder workout.  I started watching "Season of the Witch" on my wife's tablet while I ran, but it wouldn't connect to the wireless for the cool down run. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of it, and it certainly  beats staring at the white wall - or watching the numbers on the treadmill go.

Followed it up with a lunch at Panera Bread.  With their "you pick two" lunches, it's really easy to get a healthy AND tasty meal!

[caption id="attachment_1441" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Derek right before his run!"][/caption]

Saturday I met up with Derek, a coworker of mine that is bound and determined that I am not going to be faster than he is in a 5k.  Personally, I think he doesn't want to get beat by an "old man."  We headed up to Chenengo Valley State park to go for a run on some trails.

We both discovered very quickly that trails have a lot more up and down then road-running.  When doing so in Vibram Five Fingers, I found you don't get to see the pretty sights as much - because you are so busy looking for those sharp pointy rocks!  We pounded out 3.54 miles, in 37:35.  We did end up following a trail to a missing bridge, and rather than go back the way we came - we just headed through the woods!  IT was a lot of fun - I think I see more trail running in my future!

I did skip running yesterday, despite eating more calories than a black bear needs in a day, as the bottom of my foot hurt.  This is a new experience, and not one I am all that happy about.  The red line in the photo shows around where the pain is.  It is much less today, but still definitely there.  I am torn on whether or not to try to run through it tonight - or maybe use that elliptical I got from the curb.   I'm used to knee pain, calf pain and even quads when i have done hills.. This one? NOT A FAN!!!

So, there is the weekend in review!

5 comments:

  1. Soooo, here I am again Robinson! I have a few questions regarding your foot pain. Does your back hurt at all? Did your Vibrams have a good arch support? Oh and.... have your ever suffered from Plantar Fasciitis? In Reflexology the area you have described is the reflex point of the spine.
    With bad arch support you can get Plantar Fasciitis. Soo...

    Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) to reduce pain and inflammation
    Heel stretching exercises
    Resting as much as possible for at least a week
    Wearing shoes with good support and cushions
    Other steps to relieve pain include:
    Apply ice to the painful area. Do this at least twice a day for 10 - 15 minutes, more often in the first couple of days.
    Try wearing a heel cup, felt pads in the heel area, or shoe inserts.
    Use night splints to stretch the injured fascia and allow it to heal.
    If these treatments do not work, your doctor may recommend:
    Wearing a boot cast, which looks like a ski boot, for 3-6 weeks. It can be removed for bathing.
    Custom-made shoe inserts (orthotics)
    Steroid shots or injections into the heel
    In a few patients, nonsurgical treatment does not work. Surgery to release the tight tissue becomes necessary.

    Expectations (prognosis)
    Nonsurgical treatments almost always improve the pain. Treatment can last from several months to 2 years before symptoms get better. Most patients feel better in 9 months. Some people need surgery to relieve the pain.No arch support on downhills will make your arches hurt. AND Plantar Fasciitis can be a training killer if the bottom of your foot becomes inflamed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love having you comment!

    I have never had Plantar Fasciitis, but like all runners I do live in fear of it. This is the first time I have had any pain on the bottom of my foot - although today is MUCH better than yesterday. A Co-worker of mine had to walk around in "the boot" due it.

    I also have no back pain what so ever (knock on wood..)

    As for arch support, I think it is a safe bet to say my Vibram Five Fingers have NO arch support at all. In fact, they have no support anywhere! :) They are as minimalist as you can get while still wearing shoes.

    I used the golf-ball trick on it yesterday, and I am using a softball at work (its what I had at work, since my work-place is next to a softball field.)

    According to NIH - a tight achilles can contribute, so I am goign to focus on calf/achilles with my foam roller tonight (And hte next few days)as well

    I hadn't thought about the heal-stretching exercises - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are just suffering from a little "overwork" on your arch. Save your Vibrams for road running and stick to those nice supportive running shoes for trails and hills!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] quickly.  On the 8th of the month, I slammed my foot into a sharp rock, and really ticked off the Plantar Fascia on the bottom of my right foot.  I visited a doctor, tried the foot log (which did help although it didn’t’ solve the [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] The next day the bottom of my foot HURT.  I figured I had bruised something and had to take a couple of days off.  Well, since the title of this post is “the Plantar Fasciitis Trials” – obviously, it wasn’t just a bruised foot. [...]

    ReplyDelete