About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Product Review - The Stick

[caption id="attachment_1473" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Picture from thestick.com"][/caption]

So I got one of the "Stiff" sticks for Christmas from my darling wife and have mentioned it in many posts - yet I have never done a "formal" product review.  In case you are not a daily reader of my Blog  and found this site through googling "the stick product review,"  let me start out by saying - I LOVE THE STICK!!!  It is one of the greatest inventions in my humble opinion. (By the way, if you are not a daily reader of my blog, this is easy to remedy, just click the "Sign me up! button over there --->  )

I was first introduced to it at the Marine Corps Marathon Expo.  My family and I were walking around like tourists in NY city for the first time, when we went by the booth for "the stick."  The clever salesman asked me if I had any muscle issues - which those who have read my blog know my trouble spots are my calves. - and had me sit down.  He started on my hamstring, as the muscle groups AROUND the trouble spot all contribute - since muscles work together.  He then hit my calves.

[caption id="attachment_1474" align="alignright" width="123" caption="picture from thestick.com"][/caption]

It. Was. Heaven.

The only way I can describe it, is that it was like a personal masseuse had appeared out of nowhere and decided to massage my tight, sore, and all-too-often-pulled calf muscles.  The video below shows how to use this wonderful item.  I have one that is longer and stiffer than the one in the video (no sexual innuendo intended,) as I ordered the one used on me at the expo.  He demonstrates wonderfully how to use it on your calf muscles - but doesn't show the hamstrings.  Luckily it is pretty much the same thing - just higher up your leg!
[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8eFKHPW8FU]
One would think that I would go out and order it immediately when I got home - but I didn't. Instead I went with the "Drop lots of hints to the wife that it would be a perfect Christmas gift" method.  It worked - as she did order one for me!

I have I mentioned I have the greatest wife ever?

[caption id="attachment_1476" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Picture from Amazon.com"][/caption]

So with this wonderful item - I have gone on long runs that I wasn't terribly prepared for - and wasn't crippled as I used the stick after running.  The following day when I expected to not be able to move, I was fine!  For example, I ran a 15k race at a pace (Well for the first 7 miles)  I had no business running at, when I hadn't run further than 7 miles int he previous month. I used it judiciously on all parts of my legs when i got home - and was able to run a comfortable slow 5 mile run the next day.

When I attended the Injury Free Running Clinic put on by Mathew Nark of Plaza Fitness - he stressed the importance of soft tissue preparation and activation.  The stick is wonderful for this when used before a run, or even every morning - as often as you would use your tooth-brush!  The Foam roller works for a general preparation, while The Stick - helps you get really into those trouble spots, or work different angles that are harder to get while laying down and rolling around on the ground.

In short - I think this is a "must have" for any distance runner.    Hmm.  Wonder if they will sponsor a giveaway..

2 comments:

  1. i love my Stick! ive got the one with the blue handles and it is just great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] of one – I found his “solutions” to be interesting.  He recommended “The Stick” – Which I already owned (a plus), and a $25.00 item called “The Footlog” [...]

    ReplyDelete