About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Friday, April 6, 2012

Product Review: ifitness belt and hydration add-on.

[caption id="attachment_1431" align="alignleft" width="300"] Obviously not me wearing it. Picture is from ifitnessinc.com[/caption]

So last August, Detroit Runner did a giveaway for an ifitness belt (edited on 8/15/2013 - the company name has changed to fitletic) which I was fortunate enough to win.  I have worn it several times on runs and in races, although I haven't said much about it. Well, today - that changes!

This is a running item I didn't even know that I needed.  I always found a place to stash my car-keys at races, and then just hoped they would still be there.  Now I was fortunate and they always were, but it never stopped crossing my mind that it might not remain that way.  I was able to pick from any of the colors of the single pouch neoprene running belts, and went with black/grey (it goes with anything after all.)  I have found it to be wonderful for stashing my car-key in, carrying id or even some cash on longer runs, so I could buy refills for my water.

[caption id="attachment_1432" align="alignright" width="300"] ifitness belt with the hydration add-on[/caption]

I never felt it while I wore it, it didn't chafe or ride up.  It gave me a way to carry items (even my cell-phone if I had misplaced my armband) with no side effects!  Yet, while running with a belt, and an arm-band for my cell phone I was still carrying my water bottle by hand.  I had seen on their website, and at the Marine Corps Marathon Expo, that ifitness sold  "hydration add-on" options for it.  They had a three sizes of bottles, 4 oz, 6 oz and 8 oz.  I decided on the 6 oz bottles as 8 oz might be to big, and 4 oz might be to small.

[caption id="attachment_1433" align="alignleft" width="300"] I folded a piece of paper and stuck it through the loop for easy visibility[/caption]

When they arrived, my first question was an obvious one.  How hard are they to put on the belt?  The answer was - not hard at all!  All one has to do is slide the clip through the loops.  The loops are fairly tight which keeps the bottles from sliding around - but not too tight to get them on!

When I first took the lids off of the bottles, I had a problem getting them to screw back on.  It seems there is a slight trick to it, and while I can't describe it - I have it down now as I have no problems getting the lids on.   Speaking of lids, I know that some of the hand-carried bottles I have

[caption id="attachment_1434" align="alignright" width="300"] Once the lid is on, no leaking or dripping![/caption]

tried have a tendency to leak.  When I tried out the ifitness belt with the hydration bottles, I felt a light mist on the back of my legs (I wear the belt backwards so the pocket/bottles are behind me).  The closest comparison I could give, is that it felt like I had stepped into a puddle and my shoes were now spraying water off of them.  It seems that I hadn't closed the lids all the way!  After tightening them, I found no leaks at all.

[caption id="attachment_1435" align="alignleft" width="300"] This is the loop that holds the bottle in.[/caption]

I had to tighten the belt a little bit with the bottles on it, but still did not find it very noticeable.  You could feel the bottles, but the 6 oz size seemed to be nice as it wasn't annoying, and the bottles didn't bounce much.   The bottles are held into their holsters with little loops that go over the top - so there is no concern with them falling out!  The loop was very easy to open to remove the bottle, and also easy to put back after drinking.

Overall, I find the ifitness belt to be a nice addition to my running gear.  For shorter races (5k) or running away from home it is a convenient way to carry my keys, and the capability to add two 6oz bottles for longer runs is great!  While a total of 12 oz may not seem like enough for a long run, with the pocket in the belt - I can bring money to stop at a convenience store along with Gels. it!

If you are a looking for a convenient way to carry cash, Gels or other items, I would consider the ifitness belt.  It comes in different sizes, and different options as well. If you need a way to carry water for those longer runs, or for ill-setup races - the Hydration add-on is a nice feature!



This review is my opinion, and I was in no way paid to provide it, nor have I received any compensation to do so.  I won the belt, and purchased the hydration add-on.

1 comment:

  1. great to know! ive got a fuel belt by nathan, and im finding that the little pouch is not quite large enough to hold my energy chews when i go on my longer runs...this might be another option :)

    ReplyDelete