About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Monday, April 23, 2012

Race Report - Healthy Steps for Kids 5k

Unfortunately with my foot, I was unable to run the race I had planned on saturday.  So I headed out to cheer on Derek, as well as a former co-worker.   Derek was nice enough to write-up a guest post so we would still have a race report!

[caption id="attachment_1494" align="aligncenter" width="640" caption="Derek (in white) 50 feet from the starting line - ahead of our former co-worker Tim (in the Orange)"][/caption]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

[caption id="attachment_1495" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Derek and Tim coming up the hill after the 1 mile mark. The 10 year old in the gren shirt came in third over-all."][/caption]So it was my first race of the year and I did not know how I would do, so I was thought I would try to pace myself with somebody during the race.  It turned out that only a few people in the race were faster than I was, so there was no one I could really pace myself with.  I ended up trying to pace it by myself.

The race started and I took off - I was running with the  leader for just  a little bit, but he started pulling away. For probably three fifths of the race I was in 5th place, behind what seemed  to be two adult runners and two young kids. The kids where 10, but man could they run. Finally Tim (former co-worker) passed me again - just like he did last year at the YMCA Corporate Challenge.

For the final 100 yards I kicked it up and ended up finishing in 18.25 which was 5th place. The race was not 3.1 miles, I do know that. Another thing I know is losing to a 10-year-old and a former co-worker was not what I was hoping for. I have 58 (or so) days until the next race. I was thinking about that during todays race and thinking to myself that if I want to do better I need to start training better.

My time today was ok I guess, but I did not feel good when I was running. I know I can do better and will do better in the next race. I am really looking forward to June 28th....

Derek headed up the final hill:
[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWpZqp8psnU]
Overall Today was a good day it was fun seeing an old co-worker and Robinson which came and took some pictures even though I know he would have rather ran with us.
Derek Finishing:
[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTSWcOef92U]

No comments:

Post a Comment