About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Monday, April 2, 2012

Running in the rain, and dragging a friend out for a run (though not in that order)

So, a couple of days to recap today!

Friday, I took a co-worker Derek out for a run.  He had never gone further than 4.1, and didn't think he could do 5 miles or longer.  I figured that such self-doubts could never lead to anything good, and decided to do a good deed.  Yes sir! That's correct!  On friday, Derek and I went for a run leaving from work - and headed over into Otsiningo Park.  He now knows that he can do 7 miles!  I will say he didn't have quite the bounce in his step at the end compared to the bounce in the beginning!  Seriously though, Derek did a fantastic job.  He thinks of himself as a basketball/softball player and coach, but I see that "runner" in side begging to come out!

Saturday no running occurred.  But many, many Girl Scout cookies were sold at my daughter's troop's Cookie Sale.  We were right outside of Pet Depot - so my son and I (we were moral support) kept going in and playing with the puppies.  They had the CUTEST black lab puppy!

Sunday was gong to be my "long" run - but I didn't head out until 7ish.  I had originally planned on doing 10 miles, but by 8 o'clock it was quite dark and I figured my wife was starting to worry.  I called it at 8 miles.  It was raining and around 40 degrees, which helped me learn a valuable lesson.  40 is much colder when you are wet.  I will remember this and dress appropriately in the future!

As you may have seen in the comments of my post on "Soreness" - Maureen was kind enough to point out the value of a cool-down and stretching.  I was unable to use my Stick as I had lent it to Derek (I thought it was the least I could do after torturing him), but I did cool down and stretch out.  I can report no soreness this morning!  Thank you Maureen!

No comments:

Post a Comment