About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Sunday, January 1, 2012

YMCA Resolution Run 2011 in Otsiningo Park

This is a repost from My Wordpress Blog


Yesterday was the annual YMCA resolution run in Otsiningo Park. This is the first time I have run this race as an adult, but I loved it back in high school. Maybe my memory is off - but I remember it as being on New Years day, not New Years eve day. I have to be honest however, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me these days, since my New Years eve is much calmer than it used to be!

This run is always a very relaxed one. No bib numbers or chip timing, just a timing clock to let you know what you finished in - as long as you remember to look up and check! It has runners, walkers and folks doing the run/walk thing. No one is out to break a record, and the smiling laughing and joviality is contagious. I think Bryce was a little nervous going into it - but he had done the distance before. We decided to start with the walk/run rotation to see if that would help him avoid that seemingly inevitable side cramp. Then, after they said to start - he changed his mind and decided we should just run!




Yes, I know what you are thinking. He did indeed get that side cramp. So, we went to the run for a minute/walk for a minute rotation. He did quite well with that so for the second half we moved to a run for two minutes walk for one minute. He did well on that, and it kept the side cramps at bay (or at least controllable.) As we came up the final hill (see the first picture) I let him walk for THREE WHOLE MINUTES!!!! I was this kind and generous - because we were going to run the rests of the way in. When he asked why, I explained that Gramma, Grampa, Mommy, his sister and everyone else could see us, so we would make it look good.

He understood that.

As we came around the end - we picked up the pace a little, and then into an "all out kick to the finish" (see picture two!) He did start to slow down before the finish line, so I pushed him ahead of me (otherwise i might have beat him! Couldn't have that!)

He (and I) had a GREAT time - although he has decided he needs to work on his mileage a bit if he is going to tackle another one of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment