About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Insanity Continues with a pending shoe delivery!

So last night, I popped in the next DVD for Insanity.  The flavor of the day was Cardio Power Resistance!  Granted I had a break that Shaun T. hadn't worked into his schedule, but this one seemed significantly easier than the Plyometric Cardio Circuit.  My primary thought is that as I am a runner I have pretty strong hamstrings, while I know my quads aren't all that.  This workout seemed to be more focused on hamstrings than quads (based on what was getting tired/sore.)

As if to support this - I am only sore today, not in agony and walking like an 83-year-old man.

Some of the exercises: 
Power Jumps - down to  a squat, jump up with your hands over your head, then land softly
Hurdles - Run in place, then on Shaun T.'s command jump as if you were going over a really short hurdleMoving Pushups - As you go down step to the side. Up step to the side. repeat)
Globe Jumps - a four-part exercise. squat - jump right, squat - jump back, squat - jump left, squat jump forward
Mountain Climbers - he called them something different - get in push up position, then jog pulling one foot under you and switch them
"V Pushups" - Get in push up position, then get your butt way up in the air, turn your hands in until its uncomfortable and do some push ups.

There were others as well of course, but if I tell you ALL of the exercises, why would you need to go buy the DVD?

On the running scene - my new Saucony Kinvara 2 (in Bright Orange) running shoes are on the UPS truck for delivery today!  WOO HOO!!!!  I might actually get to try going for a mile or so tonight!

On the Plantar Faciitis - My foot continues to improve, but slowly.  I have been stretching and exercising BOTH feet, which seems to have brought some of the symptoms to light in my left foot.

Not.Amused.

Although its only a "noticeable" and not a "bothersome" level, so I can't complain too much.  Especially since I am already doing all the steps toward resolving it that I can.   Its also possible that it has been that way for a while, and I just hadn't paid attention since it is at a "tight" level, not a "this hurts!" level.

I also have a night splint I have been wearing, although there is a major design flaw in it that causes pain. (the fabric ripped and has velcro showing through that rubs and hurts!)

While on the cub scout adventure weekend - one of the other fathers was telling me that he had suffered from Plantar Faciitis but no longer did.  He had fought with it for 3-4 years trying splints, stretches, shoes, orthotics - you name it.  Eventually what took care of it for him (after he had ever given up on walking pain-free) was losing 100 pounds.  Well, I don't really have that option as if I lost 100 pounds I would weigh the same as my 9-year-old.  BUT, I (as you all know) have been watching my calories and am slowly losing weight. So perhaps losing 20-30 pounds will also help!

The makeshift arch-support the podiatrist made me has gotten to stinky to wear, so I am now going "Support-Free."

Its slow progress, but it is progress!  I'm also not as anxious now that I have my backup plan of the Insanity DVDs.  The workouts are no where near as much fun as going for a run - but just having a workout in place is making all the difference!

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see pictures with the shoes! By the way, my sprain wasn't nearly as severe as first diagnosed. However, the tear in my peroneus longus (the muscle that makes your foot invert and evert) is still there. But I have been cleared to bicycle by Thursday! So.. on to your PF and Insanity workout. Be extremely mindful of your knees with all the squats and jumping. You may get some knee pain on the "top" of your knee when you do quad workout. Just ease off a little if this occurs. It will go away. For your PF I will make a little video of a great stretch and post it. And I recommend a gauze pad under the painful velco spot on your splint.
    Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What (if anything) can you do about the tear? That sounds agonizing! Does bicycling make it worse, or does the position of your foot kind of bypass that muscle use?

    I am glad to hear your sprain isn't as bad as feared! One injury at a time!!!

    I also appreciate the stretch video.. I hadn't thought of hte gauze pad.. Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tear will heal with time. I will do self massage to prevent any scarring adhesions that prevent mobility. Bicycling won't make it worse as I wear clip shoes and the stiff sole prevents any "wobbling" back and forth of the ankle. It will help my calf muscles because I have been limping and will strengthen the ankle without applying any pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plantar Faciitis Cub Svout DadMay 9, 2012 at 4:48 PM

    Woohoo! My first blog shout out!

    I thought for sure that was going to end with my newest ' running' injury...Lol.

    Btw. I went to the doc today hoping they would drain the knee for me but they wouldn't since there is no pain or loss of motion. They said let it happen naturally. I said Blue Cross would pay more if they drained it...they didn't laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm honored that you chose here for your first shout out! Thanks!

    I thought I would be nice and not share your story of playing manhunt with cub-scouts in the dark (adults vs kids) and running full speed into a picnic table in the dark hurting your knee, so I didn't bring it up yet in my blog.. :)

    Actually, I'm glad to hear that they are letting it go naturally - as it shows they don't think you did anything major. On the same note I am amazed they didn't jump at the chance to charge you more!

    In answer to your question on back workouts for Insanity- thus far what I have seen is that he puts your body in really messed up positions to do exercises in. It works.

    ReplyDelete