About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sometimes a change of perspective helps us see what is important.

So for the last 24 hours I have been in the Cardiac Care Center of Wilson Memorial Hospital while my mother in law had a valve replacement done.  The surgery went well and she is recovering nicely.  In fact, the surgeon called it "Text-Book," as everything has gone according to plan.



While here, we spoke with someone whose husband had come into the hospital in January for prostate surgery due to cancer.  He is currently in the Cardiac Care Unit - and has spent most of the last 4 months in one unit or another of the hospital.  She has gotten very used to sleeping on a hospital couch.

I just spoke with another lady who had spent the night sleeping in a chair next to her husband - after he had surgery... Quickly followed by an emergency surgery due to complications.

[caption id="attachment_1562" align="aligncenter" width="640"] Doesn't that couch look comfy? It does fold out into a somewhat uncomfortable bed.[/caption]

Looking at things through a different light, plantar faciitis doesn't seem that bad.  I may have some pain running. But I can run.  I may have a list of stretches and exercises to do so that I can resolve the issue.  But I can do those stretches and exercises.  I am wearing splints when I sleep. But I am not hooked up to machines that are making my heart beat or ensuring I am still breathing properly.

I don't like being in pain or not being able to run.  But in the grand scheme of thing - it is an annoyance and nothing more.  I'm pretty happy to be alive, healthy and be surrounded by wonderful people who I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment