About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Post-Surgery Recovery update... And how it isn't going to affect my running!

So, as you probably recall, I had an inguinal hernia repair done on Jan. 6th.  Well, it has never totally stopped hurting following the surgery - but was far better, with a much lower pain level.  When I had stopped running to let my calf heal - it got progressively more painful.  The pain went both up and down my side from the hernia making it painful to sit/walk/do anything.  So, I finally called the Doctor and made an appointment.  the interesting discovery was that once I started running again, the pain got less. 

[caption id="attachment_441" align="alignright" width="260" caption="This is NOT my doctor."][/caption]

Yesterday I went and saw Dr. Brennan, the doc that performed the surgery. I explained what was going on, and where it hurt and how it got better when I was running. He had me repeat it, as it was the opposite of what is "normal" for pain like that.  He did reassure me (After checking) that I did NOT have a recurrence of my hernia.  Some ideas he had were that he may have put a stitch to near to a nerve, or something along those lines.

The Doctor also said as far as options to see what is going on, that MRIs and other "looking" types of medical tools aren't very good at finding hernias, or issues.  The real focus (in his eyes) were that I needed to ask myself - is this affecting my quality of life enough that I would want him to cut me open again, and see what was going on. (no.)  He did not seem worried however, and saw no reason I shouldn't keep running.  This was a good thing, as the likelihood of my stopping was quite low regardless.

So, after the quickest doctor's visit of my life - I was out the door.  On the way home I got a call - they decided to do an ultrasound next week, just to "make sure."

I know this entry isn't directly running-related, but as it affects MY running - I thought it worth posting!

No comments:

Post a Comment