About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Monday, June 13, 2011

First "race" of the year.

This thursday, I am running in the YMCA Corporate Challenge at Broome Community College.  I will be running in the relay (3 legs, 1 mile each) and the 5k.  When I first came up with the idea of the agency I work for competing in it - It seemed like such a great idea.  With my surgery-site causing me pain and my recent lack of running due to my calf strain - this should be a rather interesting run. 

I ran this weekend, and (as usual) it felt GREAT to be out there, the VFF's moving as light as can be.  I'm back down to ~6 mph, but I am moving with one foot in front of the other - that makes me happy.  I am headed back for a follow-up with my Doctor regarding the hernia repair surgery.  The nurse agreed that increasing pain 5 months afterwards was probably not what should be happening.  But I Digress.

The running, followed by getting injured - has somewhat hurt my motivation.  When I walk out the door, I wonder what pain is going to start-up, or if I am doing something "stupid" without realizing it.  I am hoping that the 5k will help encourage me again. I need to get that "fire burning" and with 138 days to go, the timing would be good.  I should be starting the beginners marathon training plan by Hal Higdon at 126 days.  (For the math unfriendly, that is 12 days from now).

I suspect my time is going to be miserable, but I am looking forward to my first race in VFFs.  As long as I beat my non-runner co-workers, I'll consider it a "success."

No comments:

Post a Comment