About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Happy Feet! or "I love my Vibrams!"

[caption id="attachment_388" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Bryce Ran from the green dot, up through Rec. Park and back - The Blue Dot is where we stopped and stretched."][/caption]

So, Last night's run was a nice mile run with my son.  I am very proud of him - he can do 1 mile (in 2 legs of .5 miles each with a side stretch in the middle) in 13:42!  We enjoyed ourselves, did a full stretch at his 1/2 mile side-stretch.  It was a nice distance for a warm-up, and great preparation to help avoid more muscle strains!  We then headed back home, and he headed in while I kept going.

I picked up the speed a bit for my solo run and ran another two miles.  It felt sooooooo good.  My feet were happy as could be, and the whole run was a blast.   I ran faster than the previous day, and enjoyed it so much more!  I have a little bit of soreness on my right foot, where the muscles haven't been

being used for the last 3 weeks.  My physical therapist showed me a way to use the a can that you roll back and forth with your foot to massage the bottom of the foot.  Its an exercise they use to treat planar fascitis, but seems to work well to massage the arch of the foot as well. Its one of the exercises I have been doing in physical therapy to help strengthen my other foot/calf muscles.  You just put the can/ball under the foot like in the picture to the left - and roll it forward and back.  Luckily, its not a very complex exercise, so I can manage it!

 I am going to go back out in my Asics soon - as I don't thinkit is fair to judge them based on my first run after being off for 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment