About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Barefoot Running - Day 2!

Last night was looking to be a pretty busy night, and to be honest - if I had been physically up to running the distances I SHOULD be running, I wouldn't have even tried to work it in.  I was going to a Binghamton Mets baseball game that was sponsored by my wife's workplace (we were handing out free bags.)  I knew I wasn't up to 5 miles or so, but I decided I had plenty of time for a quick mile.  I had really enjoyed the mile I ran barefoot with my son the previous day, so I thought another barefoot mile would be perfect! (as a side note - this also had the added bonus of my VFF Bikila's not being all sweaty and gross, letting me wear those to the game.)


I left work on time (my planned schedule only worked if I managed to get out on time) and headed right home. After quickly changing and removing my socks and shoes I headed out the door.  My son and I had maintained a rather enjoyable (But slow) 15 minute mile pace, but I thought I would go a bit faster due to timing (And pride) issues.  I wasn't worried about the faster speed hurting my calf - as it was only a mile.new  It felt GREAT!! Somehow I missed a lot of the little pointy rocks and pebbles that I had stepped on in thee previous day's run, and I felt as free as a bird!  As I turned the corner that heads back to my  house (probably 1/3 of a mile to go), my toes felt a little warm, and could feel some abrasion on my feet.  I wasn't to worried about it as it was only .33 of a mile or so, and after all - I had places to be.

[caption id="attachment_353" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Blue is where there are blisters, Red is abrasions. The toes are scraped down to red skin, with dirt under a flap of skin over top of them."][/caption]

Stupid mistake.  1/3 of a mile might not make much of a difference in shoes, but when we are talking about skin hitting the ground - that 1/3 of a mile is important.  I continued it slightly slower (not really by choice) but kept up a brisk pace compared to the day before.  When  I walked in the house, I took a look at my feet  and knew that I had made a wee-bit of a mistake. 

After standing for an hour handing out shopping bags at the game, my feet were very unhappy.  I think I did everything I could to keep my weight on my heels! (Which showed no damage - so apparently I have "cured" my heel-strike running illness.)  I got home and coated my toes in bacitracin, and whined to my wife.

I did some more reading on barefoot running last night.  Apparently 1/4 mile is a suggested starting point. (oops!)  Though, it was also acknowledged you could go further, if you cut your speed way back-explaining why the first night was so succesful. 

I don't think I would consider it a "failed" experiment - but it was a great learning opportunity.  Plus it further points out that I am horrible at figuring out the definition of "taking it easy" when it applies to running.

editted to add: An interesting thing I just realized, all of the places circled on the picture of my feet - are the same places that my VFFs are showing wear.

1 comment: