About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Insanity of it all.

giveupMy 3rd Anniversary here on wordpress seems like a great time to start faithfully blogging again! As I mentioned in my previous blog posting, it seems the perfect time for a change of attitude and direction in my fitness goals.  As everyone reading this blog knows, I am a runner.  This is my form of exercise.  I run.  I added in Yoga to help with my flexibility, but even that was simply a cool down from my run.  No Run = No Yoga.

Well, I'm bored.  I am still limited to a treadmill many times (just due to child care and timing), and its boring.  I enjoy watching the Walking Dead, but its STILL boring.  Tie this in with the fact that my wife has started doing Krav Maga, running isn't going to be enough.  Now, I think the running is still important (after all, I may need to run away from her and her new-founds skills!), and it is still my preferred form of exercise - but I want something more.  I have debated picking up a total gym/bow flex - and neither of these are off the table for the future (ju$t for the pre$ent if you catch my drift), or joining a gym.  As I weighed (See what I did there?) these two options, it occured to me to pick those Insanity DVDs up, and give them another shot.  They say the third time is the charm right?

[caption id="attachment_2434" align="alignright" width="180"]I totally needed this yesterday I totally needed this yesterday.[/caption]

So, I have completed the first three days of Insanity, and I have to admit - I am able to walk much better today!  Yesterday, If you could have seen me walk up stairs - it would have reminded you of your grandfather!  But today, I am back to super tired muscles, instead of agonizingly-painful-to-move-in-any-way-at-all muscles.  This gives me 2 months to decide on the Gym or not.  With a 2 mile warm up before starting it (that I will be increasing as time goes by), it is really going to help me build up my stamina and core!

My thought is to consult with a physical trainer at the end of the Insanity to help me decide the best path from there!

exercisingI heard a fantastic phrase recently.   "Dieting helps you look better in clothing.  Exercise helps you look better naked."   Since I want to improve both - it seems that diet and exercise will continue to be a factor!

2 comments:

  1. Do you do interval workouts on the treadmill? I also get bored quickly with machines and prefer to run in the outdoors. Check out this link I found on Twitter. I'm going to try these interval workouts on the treadmill, stairmill and elliptical. http://fitbie.msn.com/tips/interval-training-workouts
    As for Insanity, ahh! I loved it! I did it for three weeks until I injured myself for overdoing it with the running, the gym and Insanity. But it's a great workout. I still do it every once in a while but hearing a lot of talk about it lately might be a sign that i should start it again :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of Insanity, but it sounds intense. Right now I'll settle for getting back to running (and I'm close!) and then I'll have the luxury of worrying about the rest of me. But good for you for realizing you needed a break from running and not just doing nothing instead. Someday the urge will come back, probably on a nice day when the outside just beckons you.

    ReplyDelete