About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Restarting things!

Plyo Cardio CircuitSo, this week is bringing a few "re-starts" to me.  First off, last night I (Again) started the first week of Insanity, with the Plyometric Cardio Circuit.  I have to say, I was pleased with how much better I did in just one week.  I made it through the entire warm up with no breaks (Hey, if you have ever done it - you understand the Warm up is one heck of a workout on its own!)  I still was not able to really complete the entire DVD, but I got further along.  Definitely happy with my progress!  This DVD is a steady core workout from the beginning to the end!

The Next thing I am "re-starting" is an old hobby.  Tonight I am going to check out the local SCA group - the Barony of Lochmere.  They have a joint fight-practice and A&S meeting every other Tuesday.   Back in the day, I used to heavy fight, with my first authorization ("its like a Test" to show that I know how to fight "safely" - see the picture below) in 2001.

[caption id="attachment_2467" align="alignleft" width="300"]Listening to instructions Listening to instructions[/caption]

I don't seem to have any pictures other than my very first armor. It's a pity as it was a really nice Rus Viking rig.  For those of you that are not familiar with the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronisms) the official blurb from their website (Sca.org) is:"The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which feature tournaments, royal courts, feasts, dancing, various classes & workshops, and more.”

In addition to being a fantastic place to socialize, it is through the SCA that I learned how to brew beer, wine and mead.  I fought in armor, and no - the fighting is NOT rehearsed.  We use Rattan for our swords, which is a solid-bamboo, rather than steel.  When fighting with live steel, a fighter must be very aware of where they are swinging, with many restricted moves.  With rattan, you are able to swing in a more realistic manner.  The armor is protective, but you do walk away with bruises.

For a while I was very active in the group I came from - the Shire of Sterlynge Vayle in upstate NY, but I eventually got burned out.  It might be nice to start back up with a new group.  Plus the fighting is an excellent upper body workout!

3 comments:

  1. My daughter in MD is very into Dagorhir, which is similar to SCA, except the weapons are padded or foam. But the dress up rules are very strict, as are the battle rules. She loves it -- that's also where she met her boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back, pre-kids I was very active in the SCA. It had started to get old, as I was burning out - then we had an event. For this event my wife had spent 3 days doing prep work for cooking, and then cooked an incredible feast for 80 people. To clean up? It was me, one other person - AND HER.

    This spelled the end for us - just on top of everything else, the fact that people took advantage of her that way - and then were insulted when they were asked to help with the clean up. We left the site super late - and she was exhausted before the clean up began.

    Looking forward to checking out a new group and seeing if it is something I want to do again

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be in a medieval club. Is that like SCA ? It was awesome fun. Looking forward to seeing photos :-)

    ReplyDelete