About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Friday, September 23, 2011

What we Should do vs what we Can do vs what we WANT to do.

Sometimes what we "should" do and what we "want" to do - are very different things. I am currently trying to decide if I should Defer my entry to the Marine Corps Marathon. I have not been able to run in 5 weeks due to injury and hope to try a short run this weekend. The Marathon is in 36 days, 17 hours and 47 minutes.

My first question is CAN I do it?  I don't know the answer to this.  One idea I have is to start running as I physically can - and base my decision on one thing.  Can I do 20 miles before the marathon?  If I can manage to run 20 miles 2-4 weeks before the marathon, then I should be able to complete it.  This keeps me "Safe" as far as being able to defer (must be done 10 days before the Marathon) and/or cancelling my hotel reservations (a week before).

I know what I SHOULD do.  Ideally - I should take my time and start running short distances slowly working my way up - forgetting about a marathon until next year.

I know what I WANT to do - I want to "live a dream" and run (and complete) the Marine Corps Marathon.

I don't know what I WILL do.

2 comments:

  1. I think you shouldn't push your body prematurely. If you are still not well going into October, as hard as it might be, perhaps deferring would be the best for your health. It's a tough call, I'm sure. Keep us posted, and here's to a quick and healthy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to see how I feel. I have non-refundable hotel tickets - so I am going to D.C. regardless. You only need to average a 14 minute mile at mile 20 - to beat the bridge. As long as I can run the first 5 to 6, I think i could walk the remainder (man that would be boring.) I don't think that is how I want my first Marathon to be however.

    The run Saturday was pretty good, I will see how today's, tomorroes, etc.. goes - and judge when I am closer.

    But I suspect I'll do it.

    ReplyDelete