About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cursed!! CURSED I TELL YOU!!!!!!

So.. I am really starting to wonder if there is a hex on me. 

Friday my calf was feeling well, so I figured a nice slow 1 or 2 miles on the treadmill could be perfect to see how it was coming.  On to that boring piece of equipment I went!  First .25 of a mile! DONE (and boring!) 2nd .25 of a mile? Done! (still boring) 3rd .25 of a mile? Done (and boring.. but better than not running!)  Then... sigh.. disaster.  My son came in to the room (for about the fifth time) to make a funny comment.  I turned to look at him and my left foot hit the plastic on the side.  My leg twisted and I caught myself on the hand rails - but a different part of my calf started hurting.

Sigh.  I am wondering if I will be able to manage 26 miles, 385 yards in just 53 more days.  At this point I need another 2 weeks (or so) of not running to let my calf heal.  My longest run to date has been 12 miles.  After 2 weeks, I will have 39 days to get ready for the distance, after not running for a month.  Luckily I have until October 20th to defer (10 days before the marathon) - so I should have a good idea of whether or not I am capable of doing it. I am not going to run in my VFFs again until after - and my new goal is simply to finish it.  5 hours just became an acceptable marathon time.

I wonder if anyone has ever successfully trained for a marathon by using a bicycle before? I plan on getting ALOT of miles in on my old-school 10 speed while I can't run.  Started on friday, will continue it this week!  Today is rainy and nasty - so off to the YMCA to use their elliptical and stationary bikes. 

I suspect that it isn't going to be very difficult to get a PR for my second marathon...

1 comment:

  1. Oh man. I feel you. I am worried about being able to finish, too :/ I "ran" 12 on Saturday -- I was good for the first 8-ish, then I started getting really tired, then I ended up walking most of Mile 10, and shuffled home the last few.

    I managed 8 this morning, though, and if I can get a decent long run in this weekend, I'll feel much better about everything. We'll see. I hate injuries! :(

    ReplyDelete