About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Marine Corps Marathon Registration

Marine Corps Marathon Logo So.. I have decided it was time to live one of my dreams that I have had since Highschool, and signed up for the  Marine Corps Marathon. Some background may be in order.

Personally, I served four years in the United States Navy working side by side with Marines, while my father served in the Marine Corps (Which is where he met my godfather - also a Marine.). My best friend - served in the Marine Corps. When I was in highschool, I ran cross-country - and talked of "Some day" doing a marathon. In fact, I decided it was going to be the "People's Race" (as the Marine Corps Marathon is called - it requires no qualifying time and is simply a first come, first serve - sign up.) So since It was half my life ago that I decided to do this - I felt I probably should do it sooner, rather than later.

The thought has really been running through my head that I should look stronger at this over the last couple of years. Last year it was held ON Halloween, and it didn't seem fair to do that to my children (6 and 8 years old at the time), Well, there is also the fact I wasn't in shape for it.. Nor had I registered in time.. But that's not really relevant is it?

This year, I they opened up the sign ups at 11ish on Feb. 23, and I signed up ASAP (I also signed up my best friend - yes he did know I was going to do so.) At this point, I have 240 days, 17 hours and 40 minute to get ready for it.

For further background - when i really decided I was going to do this - it was last year.. Which lead me up to the point that I worked my way up to running 13 miles in early November. I had some pain in the right hip area at the time, but didnt' really worry about it. After two weeks off I tried running again, and felt horrible pain.. After attempting physical therapy for a strained hip flexor.. well, it turned out it was an inguinal hernia. On January 6th, I went in for laparoscopic surgery.. That couldn't be done laparoscopically.. So recovery from the "open hernia surgery" has taken longer than I hoped. I am working my way back into running - doing some training in my Vibram Five Fingers (which i hope to be able to wear for the entire marathon by October) and some in traditional running shoes - as my calves aren't strong enough to do it all in my vibrams.

So this is going to be where I document my training.. my thoughts on it.. and even just input on shoes/water bottles/gel, anything else that seems pertinent..

So Currently I am doing most of my training on a dred-mill, but as spring approaches that should be changing!

No comments:

Post a Comment