About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Calf Pain

So, I love running in my vibram five fingers.. It really forces me to change HOW I am running. It also makes the entire process more enjoyable!  Something about the change in the way my stride works improves the experience - But there are some unfortunate side effects to them.

All of the reading i did online before i really started going - and everyone warned against "too much too soon" - so I have been trying to take it easy.. I started with 1/2 a mile and worked up (for the most part).

My right calf has been KILLING me. Yet, I didn't feel that I had done much beyond what seemed reasonable - and not by a runner's stand point. It turns out that when learning to run barefoot, or in VFF's - that if one doesn't actually let their heel hit the ground, the calf muscle gets an INCREDIBLE workout.. in otherwords - agony. So, rather than running in my VFF's full time and being limited to a mile or two - i have begun to do a couple miles in my old running shoes, then switch and concentrate on making sure that right heel touches the ground!!

It took alot of research through various forums and websites to find that one gem of wisdom. I knew I was doing something wrong, just couldn't figure out what it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment