About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Lack of pain is very.... pleasant!

So, I have mentioned my on-going calf-pain here in the past.  Well, I don't know how or why, but it seems to have settled greatly.  I got on my Dread-mill this morning and did 1/2 of a mile barefoot, and then 3.5 miles with my traditional-style running shoes with NO pain.  Granted I have been taking it easy, using the KT Tape and running only short distances - but the complete lack of pain took me by suprise - in a pleasant way!    If we hadn't had to rush out to my son's Odyssey of the Mind competition - I probably would have done 5 miles with my shoes on... In otherwords, I probably owe my son a large thank you for keeping me from over doing it to much today.

I have felt some pain over the last week-week and half where I had surgery in January.  From my reading online, it seems that about 10-15% or up to 25% (depending on the source) of people that gave open inguinal hernia surgery with mesh repairs end up with ongoing pain.  I plan on going in to talk to the doctor since it has been shy of three months, but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse, even considering the mileage I have been doing.  I will not be happy if I have to stop running, but considering that it isn't getting worse, I'm not too worried .

I'm quite proud of my son (for many reasons really, but only discussing one of them here), he has begun running as well.  My eight year old suffers from being high-energy, and we figure if he can burn off a bunch of energy before school, then the first half of the day should go easier.  I think all runners remember when they first started, the side cramps that we all get as we learn how to breathe and how to use proper form as we go.  Well, as you might expect my son is experiencing this issue.  He ran with me last year several times, but would have to stop every half of a  mile to a mile to stretch out his side cramp.  As he has begun running on the dreadmill he found that he could run 5mph, but he would get the crap quickly.  He ran at 4mph this morning for .6 of a mile, and had a small cramp develop but was able to run through it.  He is thinking about doing the 1 mile kids run in D.C. in October and definitely will run a 5k with me before the end of the summer.

We are both looking forward to this spring (well, once the spring includes warm weather!) when we can run out side before starting our work & school days!  I will have to figure out a working method to run with him, and still be able to do my workouts that I need to improve my running beyond what he is capable of.  I am thinking that  (at least at first) our joint-runs could make a wonderful warm up or cool down, I will keep you informed as to how I work that out as we approach our warmer weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment