About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hills... Equal to more mileage/pain...

Hmm..  So it was beautiful today, and I took advantage of that - to take  nice run.  I went with the Vibram Five fingers - and it was nice..  There is just something very different about running in these.  I could feel it along the bottom of my feet - some tendon/muscle/something - that almost seemed tight.  With some time - it took care of itself (although i can still feel it now).  I decided on a four mile loop in the VFFs, although I suspected I was going to feel it at the end of the run.  One of the nice things about this particular loop - is it has a really nice hill in the middle of it, one that my old cross country coach used to torture us with.  I didn't stress myself going up the hill - took it nice and easy although it was definitely not "simple" - could feel it as i went..

The problem was when I reached the top of the hill - it hadn't occurred to me how much more running up hill could stress the calf..  I had run 2.3 miles at that point - which was the limit of what I had been able to do pain-free until then... and it seems it was or should have been the limit today too.. luckily my wife was able to come get me... the problem is these feel so good to run in - it is so easy to over do it.. and unlike sdealing with some minor sore ness the next day - since it is using muscles  differently than they ever have been - the pain is far more immediate..

So, it looks like tomorrow's run will be in my ASICS..  unfortunately.

Wonder if I can come up with a way to carry my normal shoes.. could run for 1.5-2 miles (gradually increasing it over time) and then swap to my ASICs, and carry my VFFs..

hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment