About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, June 13, 2013

#Juneathon Day Something or Another - The Treadmill and Bowflex

So I had this thought.  Now it was partially born out of the fact that I didn't have clean running shorts, and my manpri pajama pants were awful comfy, but it was still a thought.

If impact levels make a difference to Plantar fasciitis (to be fair, I couldn't remember if they did or not), and a treadmill has more give than the sidewalk.... Would running on a treadmill hurt less?  See how well I rationalized not going outside?  So with this thought, I went downstairs to the dreadmill.  I set the speed at 7.6, figuring if I was going to torture myself with two miles on the dreadmill, I should at least do it at a sub-8 minute mile.  Then because I felt guilty being on a treadmill, I set the incline to 2.5.

I run differently on a treadmill.  I suspect we all do - since the ground is moving and we are just trying to keep up.  As such, I tried to land flat-footed, and not put additional stress on my foot.  I thought hey!  less impact AND less stress to the PF.. How could this be bad?  Well, it was bad because the treadmill is boring.  That doesn't change at 7.6 mph over 6 mph.  a 7:53 mile is just as boring as a 10 minute mile.. just faster.  I am happy to report that I felt no out-of-the-ordinary pain, and I think my foot felt better afterwards than when I ran on the road.

Of course, it could be in my head.. But I will take it anyway!

I then followed it up with a bowflex workout, focusing on back/biceps/abs.  I can now confidently say, I am a little pansy with little girl muscles.  You heard it here first!

 

My eating is continuing to be healthy and below my calorie count.. Although I did eat most of a sleeve of Ritz crackers yesterday as an impulse.. But I was still under my daily total!   Lots of veggies and fruit..   I'm going to drop the weight!

Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh the treadmill is ridiculously boring. And I run a 12 minute mile so trust me I know lmaoo

    ReplyDelete