About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, April 11, 2013

To run or not to run..

[caption id="attachment_2525" align="aligncenter" width="490"]Don't we look tired? Don't we look tired?[/caption]

Normally that seems like a stupid question - obviously, you run.   But more and more science is looking at recovery times, and even how less running can lead to more weight loss, more speed, and all sorts of other benefits.

Competitor.com did an article on how less running can improve your marathon time.

Runner's world published a book on how to run less and get faster.

But then there are articles on active.com that talk about how running when you are fatigued (also known as recovery runs) can help you build more endurance.

It seems that just like everything else in running, there are conflicting ideas.

This was the quandary I faced yesterday (And today for that matter) - I know my legs are tired, so do I run?  Now the 90 degree and sunny weather - says "YES!"  But is it bad to go running?

I know that marathoners are encouraged to take an easy week after running their event.  Now, I'm not claiming I just ran a marathon, but I figure a ten-mile run with no training may have the same effect - but on a lesser scale.

While thinking about this.. I changed clothes, gathered up my son (who rode his bike) and headed out.  I did the same course as the previous day, but varied the ending just a wee bit (it keeps the boy on his toes.)  I enjoyed it, even if I ran it a touch slower (on purpose) at about 9:15/mile.   Not a bad 3 mile run really.  The interesting thing, is when I upload the gpx file from runtastic to dailymile.com, it puts me at  having run further - 3.76 miles- and gives me an impressive time of 7:34/mile..

Not quite.   But it is entertaining to think about :)

But now I am faced with today's quandary.. .Do I take a rest day? or do I schedule it for tomorrow?

Decisions, Decisions.. Sigh.  (What a first world problem.)

1 comment:

  1. As a wannabe runner who doesn't actually do it much, I have no advice. My recovery periods are holidays! ;)

    ReplyDelete